Downshift problem in 5R44E transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Downshift problem in 5R44E transmission?

hal9000

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ranger 4.0L 4x4
I've got an '01 Ranger 4.0 with 5R44E transmission. At highway speed I appear to have developed a minor downshift issue.

Under light but increasing load (say starting up a hill at around 65mph and/or 2300 rpm or so..), the transmission will reach the point where I'd expect the torque converter to unlock and or the transmission to downshift (I'm not sure which it's trying to do), and it feels as if something is sticking. The vehicle will make a hard "clunk" (not audible, you can feel it similar to a misfire though), but the rpm will not change at all. This might happen a second time before the vehicle downshifts. Or I can force a downshift by depressing the throttle and it will eventuall shift into 3rd that way.

I'm not sure if I'm skipping 4th gear, not coming out of lockup properly, or whats happening. If anybody has experienced this or has a suggestion about what it might be, I'll be forever in your debt!

Nobody? Is this really that unique of an issue?

Back