downsizing from 12" to 10" thunderform | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

downsizing from 12" to 10" thunderform

udmsvt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited 5.0 AWD
ok, i had a bolt 600w amp hooked up to a pioneer 12" sub. it sounded great but i blew the sub. i was getting kinda sick of having no cargo space anyways so i will take this opritunity to get a thunderform or something of the like.

what i want to know is: how much different will a 10" be than the 12" i was used to. i want it to bump the same, and will be using the same amp.

also, should i get the MTX of should i get the q box or JL box and get my own sub....and if so, opinions on the mtx 8000 subs?

i am trying to do all this for under $300, if possible. any suggestions would be welcome.

BTW, i have a pioneer premier deh740mp HU w/ 4v preouts and 4ga wire going straight back in case anyones needs to know to provide info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you want the cargo space i say build ur own box behind ur pass. side rear quarter panel...there is a thread that has been around lately where someone built their own box for a 10" sub in the real panel

get an infinity kappa 10. very nice bass from small sealed enclosures like in the back panel. you can get these for a lil over 100$ on ebay.

ok, i went to a trade show today and asked around about the box. nobody carries it but this one guy took my info and said he was a whole saler and will sell it to me at cost but he has to call his guy and get back to me on tuesday. he asked me what i could get it for and i said i found it for $150 (lie) for an unloaded 10" box...he said he could do much better. i hope i hear from him, otherwise i will be at his booth next weekend!

as for the sub, i am looking around.
so far, i am considering (pending depth analysis):

MTX 8000
pioneer premier
Infinity Perfect

i dont do DVC subs....bad luck in the past, and i dont have the capabilities or tools to build my own otherwise i would.

anybody actually have one? i wanna know how the mtx thunderform sounds with the 6000 series because i am thinking about going with 8000 series...my biggest worry is that going form 1x12" to 1x10", i will loose "oomph" so-to-speak.

Back