Dr. Jack | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Became a firm believer in BarLeak today. Flushed the system and installed coolant, no smoke while doing that, ran the rig on a 6 mile trip over improved road, didn't smoke a bit. Temp is consistant. Check engine light does come on and off, gotta check the vacum lines etc. #3 spark plug good ,#6 appears to be firing better.
It actually felt good to be turning wrenchs in an engine compartment again. Saw more things that need to be addressed, but I'm pretty sure that is gonna be a constant. :cool:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got to do a little wheeling today. I wanted to find out what the rig is capable of, it's great, but pretty much sinks in muck!!! Had a blast!! No overheat nor smoking, pulls like a champ over obstacles. And I noticed that this rig does not like improved roads, but get it on trails and it is happy as hell. The engine sounds tough as hell, nice sound.:D

mud.jpg

mudd.jpg

Untitled.jpg

One bit of bad news, I was pulled out by a Jeep Cherokee::(

Yeah, you need HP for mud and the V6 just doesn't have it....

Glad to see Dr. Jack back on the trail!:chug:

Good to see ya out testing Dr. Jack! Sad news on the J**p! haha but it happens sometimes lol.

Got to do a little playing today.

HPIM1340.jpg

HPIM1336.jpg

HPIM1341.jpg

Chillin'
HPIM1343.jpg

The area I got stuck in and Jimmy had to pull me out with his Jeep.
HPIM1344.jpg

I wonder if a different set of tires would have changed the story. AT's just do not work in thick mud.
I kind of hate mud so no big loss. :D

It great to see you having fun with your new toy Mike. You got a good one.

I wonder if a different set of tires would have changed the story. AT's just do not work in thick mud.
I kind of hate mud so no big loss. :D

It great to see you having fun with your new toy Mike. You got a good one.

Thanks Jon!! Having fun big time. I am not a mud person myself, I just wanted to see what I could do. And everytime I pull in and see the Dr. Jack sitting there I can't believe how much Lady Luck smiled on me! ( I told my ex-wife I wished she would of got all pi##ed at me sooner)

Great to see the ex get some wheeling time!
/QUOTE]

Thanks Daniel. ON the ARB I got lead off on the wrong track by a power wire being spliced into the power window power lead. Once I disconnected that I found the fault (relay is bad) I looked for the short you mentioned, but I never thought on checking for a tap in on it. But I had fun redoing the wiring harness.

Thanks Daniel. ON the ARB I got lead off on the wrong track by a power wire being spliced into the power window power lead. Once I disconnected that I found the fault (relay is bad) I looked for the short you mentioned, but I never thought on checking for a tap in on it. But I had fun redoing the wiring harness.

Thats great!! How are they working for you?

Thats great!! How are they working for you?

Not there yet. I just stumbled across this last week, waiting on the relay from 4x4 connection.
When I put the first soloniod in, the engage light lit and I assumed I had front locker. Then the new solonoid's release valve wouldn't shut, looked for the short like you suggested, but only redid the front part of the harness. (I had power to the air compressor and solonoids so I didn't check the harness from connector in engine compartment to driver controls.)
Then I noticed the light on the engagement switches lighting dimly when it was dark when I rolled up the window and this started the search that way.
A yellow wire was tapped into the yellow wire on the drivers window switch to the yellow air locker engagement switch. When I disconnected the wire from the window switch, this gave me the right fault to search, now I had no power coming from the ARB controls to the air compressor and solonoids.
So I am keeping my fingers crossed that I got it right on this one, but at least I am getting good training and getting a few air locker spare parts.
There were a few WTF? looks at the wiring.

Back to square one on the ARB. Going back over my wiring. Good thing my hair is already grey.

HPIM1345.jpg

Got the decals today Blee, looks good on the rig!:thumbsup:

HPIM1346.jpg

The EF CB antenna flag will be here next week!

One down, one to go. Great sliders Brian!

HPIM1349.jpg

Didn't take too much cussing, right side is gonna be a little more work, but that is what the grinder and BFH is for.

HPIM1348.jpg

Got the EF flag too. It looks great zukman!! Nice work! Will post a pic of it on the rig once I fab the mount.

Moab getting closer!!!!!

Is this one of those games where we find the objects in the pics that are different?

So far, I scored a ZERO....I cant find anything diff.

How do you keep someone busy for hours?:popcorn:

Found it!

The grass is greener on the other side!:p:

WooHoo!!! You win the grand prize of a set of engraved plastic ware from Wal-Mart!!!!!

The second one was just taken with a flash is all.

Back