• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Drain plug upgrade

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Ford says the plug is a 1 time use so that delicate plug UPR states is supposed to be replaced each oil change.

I do like their idea (I reused my plug and dont see anything about it that is delicate). I would love something designed like the fumoto valve so we dont ever have to remove them.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
UPR 3025-01 is the same w/o the drain tube feature. $10.00 less. I prefer the twist to open feature. I can direct the old oil right into an empty 5 qt jug with no mess. Ditto the last qt into another empty jug. Put them into empty plastic pickle buckets for transport to the recycling facility.
No mess, no fuss !

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I collect the oil for a waste oil burner that heats the shop, cant recycle any better than that lol.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
Gotta agree. Used to simply pour it into the fuel tanks of the county heavy equipment. No more. EPA pulls spot checks now. Off road, ag fuel has a different color than highway. That's what they look for. If they don't see the correct color dye, then they really get into the fuel analysis thing. A former TXDOT regional dept head got caught a while back. Hence, the word former ......... :D

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
So glad that happened after I pulled the plug. CID got brought into that mess as the investigation went statewide. Sucks imho

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Looking at the site that was linked, I don't see anything that says it can be used on the 2020 Explorer.

Peter

Carbon87

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Ford says the plug is a 1 time use so that delicate plug UPR states is supposed to be replaced each oil change.
Are we talking about the normal oil drain plug here? It is a one-time-use plug? If, so, wtf is that about?

Reactions: imp

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Are we talking about the normal oil drain plug here? It is a one-time-use plug? If, so, wtf is that about?
Yes, it is supposed to be a 1 time use plug. It is a plastic plug with an oring. It isnt supposed to be reused once you remove the plug/oring.

View attachment 178440

20200217_105806.jpg

Carbon87

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
I've seen some dumb sheet lately with cars. But a disposable drain plug? Get out of here with that crap. Is there a reason that anyone has seen from Ford for this, other than essentially close to doubling the cost fo an oil change (if $8.19 is a representative price)?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I've seen some dumb sheet lately with cars. But a disposable drain plug? Get out of here with that crap. Is there a reason that anyone has seen from Ford for this, other than essentially close to doubling the cost fo an oil change (if $8.19 is a representative price)?
I did my first oil change and reused the plug. I did order a spare prior so I have a new one on hand but figured I'd see how it went reusing it. So far no issues.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I'm can't really answer that. I've only seen what was posted in that thread. I did some Internet searches and the picture in on this particular site seems to show an aluminum replacement. I don't even know what I have on mine since I haven't been under it to check but I'm guessing it's plastic. It looks like that if you have that yellow plug, then the oil pan will be plastic.

Peter

Last edited:

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I would think if you continue to reuse the OEM or buy an aftermarket that after 2 or 3 oil changes, you are going to want to change the O-ring(s). Whether they are available for the aftermarket ones, I don't know. Planning to use the OEM for 2-3 changes and then swap in the brand new OEM one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Spacey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
If the pan is plastic, I suspect that using a metal plug has the potential to strip out whatever fittings are on the pan. If the thing is only $8 it seems like cheap insurance to get a new one with every oil change. Maybe the bigger issue is the likelihood of a plastic oil pan getting damaged in real world use.