Drain plug upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drain plug upgrade

Mikey*TX

Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 ST Star White

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford says the plug is a 1 time use so that delicate plug UPR states is supposed to be replaced each oil change.

I do like their idea (I reused my plug and dont see anything about it that is delicate). I would love something designed like the fumoto valve so we dont ever have to remove them.

upr1.jpeg
UPR 3025-02 $69.99 on amazon

UPR 3025-01 is the same w/o the drain tube feature. $10.00 less. I prefer the twist to open feature. I can direct the old oil right into an empty 5 qt jug with no mess. Ditto the last qt into another empty jug. Put them into empty plastic pickle buckets for transport to the recycling facility.
clapping%20smilie.gif
No mess, no fuss !

I collect the oil for a waste oil burner that heats the shop, cant recycle any better than that lol.

Gotta agree. Used to simply pour it into the fuel tanks of the county heavy equipment. No more. EPA pulls spot checks now. Off road, ag fuel has a different color than highway. That's what they look for. If they don't see the correct color dye, then they really get into the fuel analysis thing. A former TXDOT regional dept head got caught a while back. Hence, the word former ......... :D

So glad that happened after I pulled the plug. CID got brought into that mess as the investigation went statewide. Sucks imho

Looking at the site that was linked, I don't see anything that says it can be used on the 2020 Explorer.

Peter

Ford says the plug is a 1 time use so that delicate plug UPR states is supposed to be replaced each oil change.

Are we talking about the normal oil drain plug here? It is a one-time-use plug? If, so, wtf is that about?

Are we talking about the normal oil drain plug here? It is a one-time-use plug? If, so, wtf is that about?

Yes, it is supposed to be a 1 time use plug. It is a plastic plug with an oring. It isnt supposed to be reused once you remove the plug/oring.

View attachment 178440

20200217_105806.jpg

I've seen some dumb sheet lately with cars. But a disposable drain plug? Get out of here with that crap. Is there a reason that anyone has seen from Ford for this, other than essentially close to doubling the cost fo an oil change (if $8.19 is a representative price)?

I've seen some dumb sheet lately with cars. But a disposable drain plug? Get out of here with that crap. Is there a reason that anyone has seen from Ford for this, other than essentially close to doubling the cost fo an oil change (if $8.19 is a representative price)?

I did my first oil change and reused the plug. I did order a spare prior so I have a new one on hand but figured I'd see how it went reusing it. So far no issues.

I'm can't really answer that. I've only seen what was posted in that thread. I did some Internet searches and the picture in on this particular site seems to show an aluminum replacement. I don't even know what I have on mine since I haven't been under it to check but I'm guessing it's plastic. It looks like that if you have that yellow plug, then the oil pan will be plastic.

Peter

I would think if you continue to reuse the OEM or buy an aftermarket that after 2 or 3 oil changes, you are going to want to change the O-ring(s). Whether they are available for the aftermarket ones, I don't know. Planning to use the OEM for 2-3 changes and then swap in the brand new OEM one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the pan is plastic, I suspect that using a metal plug has the potential to strip out whatever fittings are on the pan. If the thing is only $8 it seems like cheap insurance to get a new one with every oil change. Maybe the bigger issue is the likelihood of a plastic oil pan getting damaged in real world use.

Back