Drain plug upgrade | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drain plug upgrade

Ford says the plug is a 1 time use so that delicate plug UPR states is supposed to be replaced each oil change.

I do like their idea (I reused my plug and dont see anything about it that is delicate). I would love something designed like the fumoto valve so we dont ever have to remove them.
UPR is trying to sell their high dollar plugs and furnishing false information. The drain plugs that are quarter turn plastic used in Fords ARE reusable. Also it is not necessary to replace the O'ring at each oil change. Ford parts manager here, I deal with this stuff every day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPR is trying to sell their high dollar plugs and furnishing false information. The drain plugs that are quarter turn plastic used in Fords ARE reusable. Also it is not necessary to replace the O'ring at each oil change. Ford parts manager here, I deal with this stuff every day.

This!

The dipstick, filler cap, and a bunch of other sealing systems in the engine use O rings and either are never replaced or very infrequently replaced. My Ducati uses crush washers as gaskets for the oil drain plugs and we keep reusing them even though Ducati says they are to be replaced each time.

Exactly what I was told by the service mgr at my servicing dealer. Walmart also propagates the issue by refusing to change the oil unless the customer has a replacement plug in case their techs bust the tabs ........... :rolleyes: Needless to say, I told the Walmart auto svc mgr that if the techs were that inept, they should be fired.

Shame there is not a Fumoto option. I used one of these on a FJ Cruiser a number of years ago, it worked great!

Exactly what I was told by the service mgr at my servicing dealer. Walmart also propagates the issue by refusing to change the oil unless the customer has a replacement plug in case their techs bust the tabs ........... :rolleyes: Needless to say, I told the Walmart auto svc mgr that if the techs were that inept, they should be fired.
(EDIT>Missunderstood and removed "service manager is a nut">EDIT) It is the parts department's responsibility to keep a drain plug in stock in case of damage or leaking. I rarely sell a plastic drain plug and do keep one on hand. We sell more steel drain plugs due to the threads being screwed up, but they are way more common than the plastic ones.

Your service manager is a nut. It is the parts department's responsibility to keep a drain plug in stock in case of damage or leaking. I rarely sell a plastic drain plug and do keep one on hand. We sell more steel drain plugs due to the threads being screwed up, but they are way more common than the plastic ones.
I'm not sure but I believe he was saying that the service manager agreed with what you posted . Did I miss something? :confused2:

Peter

I have always used the Fumoto Oil Valve on all my vehicles for years. It is well made and comes in several options.

i installed mine on last oil change.

Fired, and what? Replaced with an equally un-skilled employee making the same bargain basement wage?

If you let Walmart service your vehicle, you deserve what ever you get.

Ready for this ? The O ring itself is just at half the price of a new plug. I asked at O'Reilly today when I bought the Doreman replacement for the Ford plug. Decided that I'll just buy a new plug when the oil gets changed. I can afford the $8.00.
I wouldn’t trust any Dorman part for anything as critical as keeping the oil in. Garbage parts. The broken factory plug is more likely to be in spec. If I wanted to spend money I’d spend the $0.50 for new o-rings and not break the plug.

I'm not sure but I believe he was saying that the service manager agreed with what you posted . Did I miss something? :confused2:

Peter
Exactly. Calling my fellow grunt a nut case, not having met him, just makes no sense.

I wouldn’t trust any Dorman part for anything as critical as keeping the oil in. Garbage parts. The broken factory plug is more likely to be in spec. If I wanted to spend money I’d spend the $0.50 for new o-rings and not break the plug.
I'm sure Dorman products feels the same about your products.

BS. Every thing I make/sell is made of the best available stuff and is guaranteed to be excellent. I’d bet $1,000 My customer satisfaction is higher.

Read some real reviews. Dorman is garbage.

Which is why I said to read OTHERS reviews...

You like to spend time randomly calling places for god only knows why. Call up some real mechanics and see what they think of the Dorman garbage. Garbage metal, garbage tolerances, terrible casting. All around trash.

No one who really knows anything about fixing cars buys their junk.

If you let Walmart service your vehicle, you deserve what ever you get.

Awesome - should end the thread on that note! If it isn't a DIY project, I'd only let Ford deal with it. After 30+ years of oil changes, think I'll be letting the dealership handle the used oil.

Fumoto installed

Attachments

• IMG_5360.jpg
    IMG_5360.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 106

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back