Drain Trans Fluid: Best way to do it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drain Trans Fluid: Best way to do it?

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Explorer, 88,000 miles.

What'e the best/easiest way to drain the trans fluid? Isn't their a way to remove one of the lines going to the trans cooler, and then let the fluid come out there? If so, which line? Leave the trans in Park, or put it in Drive? How much fluid should I let come out before turning the engine off? Anything else to know?

Trans Fluid

You need to seach the threads. There are dozens of posts. You will find people who disconnect a transmission line and drain the fluid into a 5 gallon bucket while adding fluid so it doesn't run dry. They do this w/o droping the pan and replacing the filter. You will also find those doing it the hard way by droping the pan and getting a bath. Another way is to pump the fluid out of the pan via the fill tube and then drop the pan. You don't get all the trans fluid all over you. It is not hard to do but it will take some thinking and time. So search and good luck.

For what its worth, I like to drop the pan every time so I can see and clean out the residue that is in the pan. Also, the first time I drop the pan, I put on an aftermarket drain plug and the next changes are simple and no mess, just open the drain plug and drain before dropping the pan.

Back