Dream to be fast | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dream to be fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
New supercharger

I am relatively new to the website. I am allways looking for possilbe upgrades to my X, so in digging around I found what may be the golden key. I am only in the investigation stage. I don't have alot of info yet, but it looks like they have developed a stealth supercharger for the 4.0 L Mustang, and are looking at a conversion kit to mount into an Explorer. What makes this supercharger so awsome is that unlike most others, it's boost starts just off idle and has a very linear curve all the way through the rev band. ( So you don't just get a hit at 4000 rpm to redline.) Also, you can adjust the psi boost externally. So if you have it set to 5 psi, ( Approx. 55 hp. gain and 70 ft torque) you don't even need an intercooler set up. It comes with it's own oil cooler that is mounted off the radiator, so you don't even have to tap into the oil system. The supercharger is about the size of an alternator and is serpentine belt driven. It's almost a plug and play supercharger. Now, I don't know that you will get 55 hp from 5 psi on a 4.0 L X. Nobody has tried this combination out yet. I am in talks with the developer about installing one in my truck and doing a photo layout and install description in return with results. :biggthump
Looks like we will be guinee pigs and have to break some uncharted territory. If anyone else has been down this road please send me some feedback. What did you like and not like? How much did you spend ? And anything you learned along the way could be very helpful. Thanks guys and I will keep you posted as this developes. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a question about the t stat as well. Mezeire said I could remove it as the temp in Florida remains pretty constant year round. And with an e fan to monitor cooling and heating, the fan wouldn't kick on until it warmed up anyway even on cool mornings. But I also heard some leave it in with no ill effects.

Obviously that fellow doesn't live here. The ambient temp ranges from 40 F to near 100 F.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The stock trans should hold around 250 HP but James has went well over that. I've talked with him plenty about the trans and he feels it's a good unit. (Even though other's say it's crap) James has put it to the test and broke into the 12's with it. I'd say you're okay for now. The only thing he does suggest and to keep the bands ajusted. There's a thread in here about it.

Ummm, let's see. I'm going to send my stock pump to Rocket and let him figure out something. I'm a manufacturing engineer but I have no clue about the best way of doing this, just commen sense and trial and error. I'll go ahead and let rocket figure something out. Then I can tell people....."see that water pump right there......Yeah, the fastest explorer in the world owner came up with that Idea....wanna touch it? Okay, that'll be 10 bucks....hehe

Good luck at that dyno tune. If you pull higher numbers than me with your stock truck, I quit. Just keep that in mind when you're posting.

Actually, from looking at that pump, I think you're on the right track. Now just make the stock pump a idler pulley. Not bad.

Aldive - I know you'll have one cuss It was you that said you wanted to do this on the phone the other night. Funny how things work out?

Jeff, your quality input is always appreciated by me; thanks.

Yeah, I have to agree. Jdraper know's his crap! It took me awhile to figure that out.

But Jdraper, my pipes still haven't rusted!! ;)

I had a question about the t stat as well. Mezeire said I could remove it as the temp in Florida remains pretty constant year round. And with an e fan to monitor cooling and heating, the fan wouldn't kick on until it warmed up anyway even on cool mornings. But I also heard some leave it in with no ill effects.

Don't take it out. Your truck will struggle to get to the correct operating temperature, which will adversely affect your fuel mileage and carbon up the plugs faster. The cooling system can handle the extra flow. There are probably over 100 of us over on the Mach1 Registry that are using the Meziere 55 gpm pump with no problems on a stock cooling system..

Yeah, I have to agree. Jdraper know's his crap! It took me awhile to figure that out.

But Jdraper, my pipes still haven't rusted!! ;)

Thanks...I've been working on cars for the better part of 30+ years so I've learned a little along the way....I'm still figuring out some of the newer electronics though...always willing to learn...:D

You're lucky on the headers :) I've seen the old Tri-Y headers rot out in 6 months with header wrap on 'em (My first '66 Mustang back in about 1979). A lot of it will have to do with the conditions you drive in, and the materials that the headers are made from.

Obviously that fellow doesn't live here. The ambient temp ranges from 40 F to near 100 F.

Yeah but it's 40 about 3 hours and 100 for about the same. Most of the day is still nowhere near the extremes. I ran a Mazda B2300 with a stat frozen wide open for 4 years, the only thing I ever noticed was the heater took a littlelonger to blow hot air in the morning. ( Guys, it was a good company truck okay?) But never the less, I am pursuing a better answer for this. JDraper said he's been running one with the stat in and hasn't had an issue. I'm inclined to go along with his advise on this as he has been dead on so far.

Okay, I just checked all the fluids and lowered my tire pressure about 4 psi in the rears. And here are some picks of a lovely Stock motor.

Attachments

• Explorer project 031.jpg
    Explorer project 031.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Explorer project 032.jpg
    Explorer project 032.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 272

Who over in mouse town is doing your dyno?

Thanks ....

Okay, I just checked all the fluids and lowered my tire pressure about 4 psi in the rears. And here are some picks of a lovely Stock motor.

Ya know, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your truck is laying over on it's side......:cool:

I originally wanted to take it to a place called Powered By Ford. they work on Mustangs and F150's only. But they were booked and the tuner wasn't in the day I called around. So I found a place called Lamata Performance shop in Longwood. I set up the appointment, but after talking with the guy I don't think I want them to do the tuning later.
And Jeff, thats why I'm tuning it !!!!! I'm tryin to get it right,,,:wtf:

No really, I hate to tell you this, but Ford put your engine in backwards!

Oh that's what the problem has been!!!! I was wondering why it didn't go any faster after putting the billet grill on!!!!! :p:

I originally wanted to take it to a place called Powered By Ford. they work on Mustangs and F150's only. But they were booked and the tuner wasn't in the day I called around. So I found a place called Lamata Performance shop in Longwood. I set up the appointment, but after talking with the guy I don't think I want them to do the tuning later.
And Jeff, thats why I'm tuning it !!!!! I'm tryin to get it right,,,:wtf:

What are they charging for the pulls?

What are they charging for the pulls?

They are charging me 80 bucks for 2 pulls. I know I know, I've seen 3 pulls for 75 bucks. But I didn't have alot of time to call around, and I figured it's only a baseline anyway.
Which reminds me. Is there an error factor in Dyno's? I mean is there like a + or - factor and are all dynos in that factor? Can there be a Dyno that is way off?

Is it on a Dynojet?

Be sure to get the data on a CD so you can post it w/o scanning.

Good luck on the pulls .....

Yes it's a Dynojet. And yeah, I will definately try and get the disc and I will post the results a soon as I get home. Thanks.

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeets get ready to DYYYYYYYYYYYYYYDNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stop guys, I'm already excited and jittery about it. I'm just hopin for a good number. Tell ya what, everyone post their guess before the run and we'll see who's the closest. You have until about 4 pm tommarrow to post. I"ll start with 162 Hp. The truck has 48,000 miles on it now.

Stop guys, I'm already excited and jittery about it. I'm just hopin for a good number. Tell ya what, everyone post their guess before the run and we'll see who's the closest. You have until about 4 pm tommarrow to post. I"ll start with 162 Hp. The truck has 48,000 miles on it now.

166 rwhp.

Man, If I hit 166 or better, I'll be as happy as fly locked in the outhouse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back