Dream to be fast | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dream to be fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
New supercharger

I am relatively new to the website. I am allways looking for possilbe upgrades to my X, so in digging around I found what may be the golden key. I am only in the investigation stage. I don't have alot of info yet, but it looks like they have developed a stealth supercharger for the 4.0 L Mustang, and are looking at a conversion kit to mount into an Explorer. What makes this supercharger so awsome is that unlike most others, it's boost starts just off idle and has a very linear curve all the way through the rev band. ( So you don't just get a hit at 4000 rpm to redline.) Also, you can adjust the psi boost externally. So if you have it set to 5 psi, ( Approx. 55 hp. gain and 70 ft torque) you don't even need an intercooler set up. It comes with it's own oil cooler that is mounted off the radiator, so you don't even have to tap into the oil system. The supercharger is about the size of an alternator and is serpentine belt driven. It's almost a plug and play supercharger. Now, I don't know that you will get 55 hp from 5 psi on a 4.0 L X. Nobody has tried this combination out yet. I am in talks with the developer about installing one in my truck and doing a photo layout and install description in return with results. :biggthump
Looks like we will be guinee pigs and have to break some uncharted territory. If anyone else has been down this road please send me some feedback. What did you like and not like? How much did you spend ? And anything you learned along the way could be very helpful. Thanks guys and I will keep you posted as this developes. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, so with all that out of the way, A starting point has been established. 155 hp at the rear. Man that even sounds slow. pitiful,just pitiful!

So I have a question that I have been seriously debating in my head for awhile now. The udp. Does it make sense or not considering I am going with a supercharger later? Never mind that the supercharger will be the power puncher later, my question really is, if I do the udp, I know I will have n/a gains. I see they have 8 different size pulleys for the supercharger I want. So is it possible to have the best of both worlds without having to switch the pulley back later?

I think so; However, you will be limited to around 6 LBS of boost. I've searched around trying to find the smallest pulley others were able to run without slipping. I have the diameter somewhere but according to my calculations that would be pushing 5-6 pounds of boost.

The way I've figured this is; By knowing the crank pulley is undersized by 24% then you'll need to take the blower pulley down 24% to accomplish the same amount of boost. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

And don't be depressed about the numbers cuss you're right in there. Be happy that you'll know exactly what you've gained (Something I can never say for myself). And you should be proud. You said you were doing something and came thru with it!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks Froader. I'm still a newbe to the site, youmean this doesn't happen often? I just wanna work on my truck man. I just wanna see how far I can go, and the only way I can determine that is to have a starting point.

Let's just say we've seen more than our share of all talk, no follow through on the dyno issue....:hammer:

Thanks guys. I'm gonna see this thru to the end. This thread won't end until I post my last Dyno showing the X being tuned witha supercharger on it. I have a small story to tell you guys about the guys down at the Dyno. Theres a part of me that wants to take it back there afterwards and let the same guy Dyno it after it's finished so he can eat a few of his words. But that is besides the goal.
This weekend starts the upgrade process. Man I can hardly wait!!! Where to begin?!!

Unfortanatly, I'm one of those guys that said he was going to dyno and didn't. Go ahead and slap my hands. I'll hold them out for every member in the forum to slap.......especially Froader, I'll hold both hands out for him to slap.

but yeah, it's mostly up-hill from here. Good luck with the mods.

Way to go; your numbers are in the ball park for a stocker. I think mine was 159 RWHP when she was stock.

Good luck with the build.

Okay, I've been looking around the site and I can't seem to find any difinitive answers to the Mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. I saw Aldive started a thread about porting one out but there are no results that I could find. What happened? I saw some guys running 66 mm all the way to 75 mm. So what are the differences, if any. I plan on running the K&N cold air intake along with Gibson headers and exhaust. S

Okay, I've been looking around the site and I can't seem to find any difinitive answers to the Mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. I saw Aldive started a thread about porting one out but there are no results that I could find. What happened? I saw some guys running 66 mm all the way to 75 mm. So what are the differences, if any. I plan on running the K&N cold air intake along with Gibson headers and exhaust. S

I have not dynoed ( yet ) since the TB mod ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172480 ) as well as the UDPs ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1377150#post1377150 and http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1394998#post1394998 ). Both are great mods ( the TB that was modded was the Ford Racing one ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139454&highlight=mustang ).

Thanks Al, I contacted James to look into the Ford Racing throttlebody, we are going to find out if they are still the same as theymade some changes in o2'-05' set ups. Have you changed the out the mass air flow sensor also? I realize that you and I have different goals, your being fuel mileage, and mine being power without going into reckless abandon. hehehe! Well. maybe a little recklessness won't hurt.
Also, how is the udp workin out for ya? I'm really considering doing that as well, I mean why hassle with the e water pump and e fan to reduce drag and not put the udp on? Didn't Jakee also put one on? So I guess it's a good mod? I never really considered it intil talking with people in here.
James brought up some good points about lightening up the drive train and so fourth. I'll be looking into that as well.
I just bought a 1998 cargo van so I can leave the X up while all this work is going on. I'll post a pic of it later. I mostly got it for my company, but the timing was for wife purposes "coincidental" hehehe.

Have you changed the out the mass air flow sensor also?

Yes, I have the C & L housing with stock electronics( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136883&highlight=maf ). I have tried them all ( aftermarker MAFs )with no positive results except this combo.

I realize that you and I have different goals, your being fuel mileage, and mine being power without going into reckless abandon.

The funny thing is that both paths lead to the same store. HP is a byproduct of engine efficience and so is gas mileage.

Also, how is the udp workin out for ya? I'm really considering doing that as well, I mean why hassle with the e water pump and e fan to reduce drag and not put the udp on? Didn't Jakee also put one on? So I guess it's a good mod? I never really considered it intil talking with people in here.

The UDPs are one of the best mods I have done for gas mileage; I have yet to dyno with them installed. I have had no problems whatsoever with them.

Thanks Al, I contacted James to look into the Ford Racing throttlebody, we are going to find out if they are still the same as theymade some changes in o2'-05' set ups. Have you changed the out the mass air flow sensor also? I realize that you and I have different goals, your being fuel mileage, and mine being power without going into reckless abandon. hehehe! Well. maybe a little recklessness won't hurt.
James brought up some good points about lightening up the drive train and so fourth. I'll be looking into that as well.
I just bought a 1998 cargo van so I can leave the X up while all this work is going on. I'll post a pic of it later. I mostly got it for my company, but the timing was for wife purposes "coincidental" hehehe.

The underdrive crank pulley is a great mod, so is the e-fan.

I used a 4.6 TB from Rocket's 4.6 and ported and half-shafted. I think it works pretty good.

The 73MM C&L MAF housing should workout for you pretty good? Might want a bigger one for the supercharger though? James can help here cuss you'll need a tune if you go bigger than 73MM. And actually, the 73MM needs a tune.

Also, just to make you feel better, (Maybe) I'm going with the gibson headers as well. I scrapped the long tube idea once James and Rocket reminded me of what my future plans are.....One thing I've learned, it's sort of harder to reach a N/A goal you set from the begining, and still keep the future mods in mind when making choices. I could of got a good gain with the long tubes, but this wouldn't work out so well with a turbo charger.

I'd say do the intake and exhaust first. Drive it around and work out any issues you may have. (I don't think you'll need a tune just yet, but I could be wrong). Then go for the E-fan and Crank Pulley.....Drive around and see what you think.....Then go with the TB and MAF housing, get tuned...drive around and see what you think. Then you could start the E-pump and lightning up the drive shaft...See what difference that makes...Then slap the supercharger on there, get tuned, drive back up to the shop that dyno'd you and rev the engine a couple of times, and tell them it's to much for the to handle tuning, and you're going with a tuner that cares about your project...hehehe

Did James comment about the "lean" condition on your chart?

Yes, I have the C & L housing with stock electronics( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136883&highlight=maf ). I have tried them all ( aftermarker MAFs )with no positive results except this combo.

WOW!, you got 7 rwhp out of just a maf housing!? Man, i need to go back to school and take take some auto classes. Thanks for the info. I'll look into that also.
With stock electronics?????..... Hmmmmm.

And yeah, the gas mileage and power do have common ties, but only to a certian point. I don't think I will be getting better fuel mileage once I go forced induction. LOL. Wouldn't that be nice though!

WOW!, you got 7 rwhp out of just a maf housing!? Man, i need to go back to school and take take some auto classes. Thanks for the info. I'll look into that also.
With stock electronics?????..... Hmmmmm.

Get ahold of Doug at Bama Chips ( http://www.bamachips.com/ ); thats where I got mine. I do not know a part number, sorry. Further, the 7 RWHP was using a dyno tuned 89 octain program, not the good 93 octain one.

And yeah, the gas mileage and power do have common ties, but only to a certian point. I don't think I will be getting better fuel mileage once I go forced induction. LOL. Wouldn't that be nice though!

So true my friend, so true.

Good starting numbers. I would claim to be the winner, but "Price is Right" rules say I'm not. :( I would say 1. Intake, 2. Exhaust, 3. Tune. Those are the 3 biggest power adders (aside from forced induction) and you will notice a major difference with a tune. Plus, I think from Bamachips, you can get a free re-tune e-mailed when you change something IF you bought your original tuner from there, I THINK...not 100% positive.

Alright my plan is this, On the first day I want to get the headers, exhaust, intake and 93 tune flash. Maf rehousing and Throttle body as soon as they come in.
Second round, E fan, e water pump, larger alternator, under drive pulley.
Third round, larger coil, better spark plug wires, N/A Dyno tune.
Fourth round, Brake discs and pads, Steel braided brake lines.
At this point I will start looking at lighter drive train, and suspension work.
And I will be regathering and setting up for the supercharger.
I think this is a pretty good plan of attack. Thanks again guys. All of your help has been very appreiciated.

Dennis, where do you plan on getting the brake lines?

Dennis, where do you plan on getting the brake lines?

I'm not really sure yet, I have done some looking into it and it doesn't seem that there is a " presized" set, so I may buy a performance set and make them myself. I have an easy fitting tool from my motorcycle days. It's not that difficult. To be honest, I haven't even looked at the stock set up yet. But I know the diifference they make and figured I would do them. Brake feel and feedback is so much better!!

Russell ( http://www.russellperformance.com ) makes braided lines for all sorts of different applications. Not sure if they do lines specifically for your X though. Even if they don't make an exact line for the X, you may be able to make some of the F-150 or Mustang lines work....

Well, the K&N cold air intake, and the Gibson exhaust are in the truck. I ran into an issue with the headers, so those are not installed. Here's the problem:

The 2003 4.0L has a passenger side egr, and the set they sent me has a driver side egr. When I look down at the stock set, the driver side and the Gibson look identical. But the passenger side Gibson has no fittings it. So I called the place I bought them from, ( Auto Anything.com) and asked to have them exchanged. They said that Gibson doesn't make a header with a passenger side egr. But when you search by make, model, and year, this is the set that comes up. In fact, this same set comes up for model years 1999-2005. So do I have an odd truck? Does anyone have a driver side egr on the truck? Or do I have to convert the passenger side to the driver side? Which looks like a huge hassle I may not want to deal with. I haven't looked at JBA or any other manufacturers yet, I've delt with Gibson in the past and have never had a problem before, so this was a surprise.
The exhaust install was a bit tricky. I actually had it all together, then took it all out and put it back in again to get it right. That up over the axle bend was a :censored: . You really have to be careful how the exhaust sits up there because you need to have atleast 2 inches of clearance in that area or the axle will be playin the bongos on the pipe! So I ended up cutting about 3 inches off the connector between the cat and the muffler to make sure that there was plenty of room for the exhuaust system to flex around under there. Also I will have take about 3-6 inches off the exit pipe. It's a little too close to the bumper for my comfort. So I figure cut off 3-6 inches and then I'll put a turn down tip on it.( The tip that comes with the system seemed like a cheesy set up anyway.

After double checking all the fittings and bolts, I flashed in the 93 performance setting. Then started the truck. The tone was definately noticable, at idle it has a soft rumble. When you gas it up a little the tone really said so. I was kind of concerned, I wanted a quieter set up. So I checked for exhaust leaks, and again to make sure there were no clearance issues, Dropped it off the ramps and took it out for a run.

I think maybe I set my expectations on the decibel meter to high. I know that you can't get a full flow exhaust and expect stock quiet performance. While the X is definatley louder, I think I will get used to it over time. I can hear the intake pulling air in over the exhaust, so we'll see how it goes as time progresses.

I haven't had a chance to really give it the gas yet and take it out for a nice run. ( It was dark, so every headlight coming looked like the cops!) Especially with a louder truck, You feel like your just advertising here you come also. So I'm going to give it some time to digest the changes for some real before and after comparisons. Theres a part of me that really wants to dyno it here to see. Maybe I can get this to header or not to header thing settled. Hmmmm,,,,,, I'll have to see if my schedule will allow,,,, Yeah, I just may do that, but the problem lies in the order of things. If I dyno now, then I cia'nt do anything else until I put the headers on and then dyno again. That's two trips and 160 bucks. I'll have to think about that and see how getting the headers plays out also.

I noticed that when I loaded the flasher, there were some user options to alter the flash also. I'm not used to using a flasher, so has anyone changed the settings on the ignition and shifting? I think I'll have to have a talk with somebody who really knows the Excal2 flasher. I have more questions and things I would like to learn about it.

A "possible" solution to the EGR problem is to turn the EGR off with your XCal and put a block-off plate over the EGR opening. I know this is done on the 4.6 DOHC motor on a regular basis when installing intake manifold spacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back