Dreamr's City Car Registry | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dreamr's City Car Registry

Hehehe it's like Christmas (not that I celebrate it) for the mustang this month :D :cool:

I came home to a couple of very heavy boxes from summit racing today.....Still more on the way, but here it begins.

What did you buy now the audience asks? Well just a few things ;)
100_1449.jpg

Hehe I am too excited. I think I smell a 300 -350 hp daily driver coming up :confused: Now wait till next fall and it'll get really fun.

Anyway so what is all that stuff piled up in the picture.

First off are the Heads. I mean how could I not do heads while I am already tearing the engine a part. I spent weeks researching heads. AFR's seem to be the most highly touted head out there, but they are also pricey and I would need to fly cut my pistons which right now is not interesting to me :p: .
My main choices for easy bolt on heads narrowed itself down to Edlebrock Performers with the 1.90 valves or the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge which can clear a 2.02 due to the "Twisted Wedge" They came fully assembled to make my life a bit easier, and of course with the whole top end gasket kit (now I have a spare set as well :confused: ).
100_1462.jpg

And of course since I have it a part how could I not replace the stamped rockers with decent aluminum roller rockers.. I went with the 1.6 ratio to again avoid valve to piston clearance concerns. Trick Flow was the brand because well everything else was trickflow and I like discounts for big orders.
100_1461.jpg

Again in the interest of saving money with a package deal I ended up with some Trick Flow valve covers. personally I would have preferred plain or a ford logo, but this is what I get so I suppose they will soon get sanded down and polished as well..
100_1460.jpg

And if we are adding all this air to the mix I must add the Holley adjustable fuel pressure regulator to complement the 24 pound injectors I have sitting in the garage.
100_1457.jpg

A pile of ARP fasteners
100_1455.jpg

Trick Flow Chromeoly pushrods, and Ford Racing Hydraulic roller lifters
100_1453.jpg

And lastly a Trick flow stage 1 camshaft
intake 499 lift /275 duration
exhaust 510 lift /279 duration
100_1451.jpg

Soon I should be recieving a box with a new Ford Racing double roller timing chain, Head bolt reducer bushing, and ARP header bolts (alan style)

Then of course I still have a few small parts too aquire as I can afford them. Install will likely start in 1-2 months as I get forced out of the hills by snow.

hehe I can't wait for spring ricer season to open up :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey SVO
I don't know if you are still following this thread or not, but take a look at my parts list from the last month (starting with the group that cam in with the intake and ending with this group that came with heads.) Tell me know, what am I still missing? I think I have most everything, but I am also sure that there are a couple small items skipping my mind, and I would love the second set of eyes to give feedback. In essence once this starts I do not intend on leaving the garage untill I am done so I want to make sure I have everything.

Thats going to be one sweet stang when you are done..........

moose1 said:
Thats going to be one sweet stang when you are done..........

Thanks, I only hope it turns out as well as I plan.....

There is so much left to do, and all these steps are annoying and expensive. I still have a short block to build, A bunch of misc. stuff for under the hood, power adder , tranny, rear axle, some more chassis work, a few dents, fiberglass panels and paint, then finish the interior, brake upgrades, .....gads it never ends and I have not even finished the Explorer projects :confused:

It looks like it's going well so far though. I can relate with the multiple projects. I still have a few things I want to do to my stang if I keep it, I have been doing some subtle upgrades to the LS and I still have yet to lift my Mountaineer.

Since you have those aftermarket rockers, cam and lifters, make sure the roller part of the rockers have a good pattern across valve stem. Don't want to wear down one side of valve stem. I used an adjustable push rod to get the right length and then oredered that size. Nice engine build.

One thing I didn't see listed was a good harmonic balancer (maybe I missed it?). I see a lot of top end parts, but not much on the bottom end to compliment it, like a high flow oil pump and balancer. When I built the 289 for our Mustang I did a buildup very similar to what you are doing where I started with a stock short block, added a Summit aftermarket balancer and Melling high flow oil pump, and went from there. I also added a high flow water pump and a Be Kool aluminum radiator for good measure.

rookieshooter said:
Since you have those aftermarket rockers, cam and lifters, make sure the roller part of the rockers have a good pattern across valve stem. Don't want to wear down one side of valve stem. I used an adjustable push rod to get the right length and then oredered that size. Nice engine build.

Thanks for that tip. I bought the heads rockers cam and pushrods as a matched set from TrickFlow so hopefully they will be ok, but I will deffinately double chaeck. Thanks.

JDraper said:
One thing I didn't see listed was a good harmonic balancer (maybe I missed it?). I see a lot of top end parts, but not much on the bottom end to compliment it, like a high flow oil pump and balancer. When I built the 289 for our Mustang I did a buildup very similar to what you are doing where I started with a stock short block, added a Summit aftermarket balancer and Melling high flow oil pump, and went from there. I also added a high flow water pump and a Be Kool aluminum radiator for good measure.

The harmonic balancer I had not thought of....Good point I will add it to the to buy parts list! (if it'll fit on the paper that is :confused: )

I hope to get in for the oil pump when we do the oil pan gasket....That is if I have room with the engine in the car. If not it will wait a year or so for the block to get rebuilt.

The water pump, radiator, and fan will deffinately get upgraded at some point. Now it is out of my financial reach for a bit. We'll have to slap together the top end, then go in for the water pump and the timing chain later with the rest of the cooling system. If I come up with an extra 80 bucks for a high flow pump though it will be easier to do it as a part of all the rest. The timing chain will be here monday.

dreamr said:
Hey SVO
I don't know if you are still following this thread or not, but take a look at my parts list from the last month (starting with the group that cam in with the intake and ending with this group that came with heads.) Tell me know, what am I still missing? I think I have most everything, but I am also sure that there are a couple small items skipping my mind, and I would love the second set of eyes to give feedback. In essence once this starts I do not intend on leaving the garage untill I am done so I want to make sure I have everything.

Oh **** I'm waaaay behind on keeping up with this I need to do some reading and catch up, hang on I'll brb lmao :confused:

Jeff - :navajo:

Well not that I have very much of anything to update on this thread, but I did get a couple of new parts wandering in through the door. Still quite a bit more to collect, but bit by bit I am getting there.

This weeks delivery was a Billet double roler timing chain and a set of Edelbrock Head bolt reducer bushings.

Since I was bored all week waiting for parts and such I just had to take on a new project though. Pictures below....

100_1463.jpg

100_1469.jpg

Wow, great job!!!!

Thanks, now to get it running as good as it looks;)

Just in time for the crappy Washington fall weather too!:rolleyes: :(

Get her to Pacific Raceways next season and lets see what she can REALLY do!

Well well has been a while since I posted here.... I have been pretty idle really - the stang got all new carpeting and stereo system (stock upgrade no subs) - she had a lot of little tweking done, and a new battery (optima) that be all. It has been nearly 2 years since the tear down and build up. In hindsight why the #### did I not pull the engine copmpletely.

So it is once again a bare block under the hood - seems I had a bity of an issue. And since it is all apart and the engine is coming out for inspection, refreshing, etc. I need advice of all you more knowledgeable than me. Lets start out with what happened lol. Mind you the car has ran superbly up till one day.....

She had been parked for two weeks. I fired her up one morning. Almost instant ignition as always followed by massive quantities of snow white smoke from the tail pipe (never seen that one from her). I let it run as the smoke seemed to grow less. After 5-10 the exhaust was invisible. At this point I am thinking somehow a whole lot of water condensed in the exhaust system.

I drive off to work and notice that the engine is running slighlty rough and is lacking a touch of it's normal power. Almost as if I had an intermittent miss on 1 cylinder.

Lunch at work - smoke starts again for 2-3 minutes - Miss is more pronounced. The rest of the day I walked or bussed untill time to go home- I babied her on the way home. Occasionally she would blow a puff of smoke, and I was definatley running on 7 cylinders. As I pulled into my driveway I also noticed a trail of fluid drips....

At this point I am saying head gasket is toast ehh...well keep reading

Oil is full of antifreeze
NO oil is in the cooling system
front spark plug passenger side black and wet
All other spark plugs look normal
All leaking fluid appears to have come up and around the poorly sealed oil pan
Car will not run at this point either I should add
During inspection noted burnt fluid on the top of passenger valve cover ( below TB / EGR spacer)
Fluid inside upper intake as well - oil / af mix?

At this point I started tearing it apart still focused on the head gaskets

Antifreeze was leaking between the tb and the egr spacer both inside and out
possible small af leak at lower intake to head gasket - would have gone to back passenger cylinder.
Everything else looked good honestly
Heads came off with intact gaskets - do no appear to have leaked at all
Inside of engine looks about how I expected it too after 2 years since I saw it last
on the passenger head the intake valves look odd - on the driver all 4 look identical
On the passenger the back one looks normal (back to front) next this one is glazed kinda whitish, next looks normal - front is blackened like its spark plug was.

So My questions.

Do you think the upper intake leak could have caused all this fluid transfer?

What does the valve coloration indicate?

I am feeling the engine should be rebuilt anyway at this point, but I am curious as to the symptoms and what others diagnosis/repair thoughs are.

Lastly want to help me build this thing in the garage XD (err over the internet) ?- I be broke and can't pay an engine builder so---gonna have to learn as I go

With what you described, it sounds like the intake gasket was leaking into cyl #1 and the lifter valley.

BTW, Welcome back dude! I haven't seen you on here in forever!

With what you described, it sounds like the intake gasket was leaking into cyl #1 and the lifter valley.

BTW, Welcome back dude! I haven't seen you on here in forever!

I suspect you are right there. Any ideas on the different colored valves?

Thanks for the welcome back too :)

To change the color of metal usually takes heat or a chemical process, I suspect you might have heated them up a bit. Is it that purpely-rainbow looking color?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chris the valves in question - 2 are a typically brasy appearance - 1 is black (wet plug in that one too) 1 is white. The white one has me curious.

Well it begins again - gonna be a slow project this time as I am low on money lol.

engine_comes_out_003p.jpg

engine_comes_out_004p.jpg

Back