Drilled/slotted rotors + ceramic pads. Overkill? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drilled/slotted rotors + ceramic pads. Overkill?

higney85

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 4.0 explorer
I recently bought my wife an 06 (v-6) and at 45k I'm thinking brakes are around the corner. On my car (maxima) I added f&r drilled and slotted rotors and really helped out braking (80k miles and still no warped rotors and it stops much better than stock). We will be doing very minor towing and this is her DD. Anybody have opinions on spending the extra money and it making a difference in stopping performance and fade? I found powerstop makes F&R setup for the 06.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ceramic Pads would be a little overkill yes lol

If your looking to upgrade the rotors and pads, and considering the use of the X. I would run this set up, and it would be a great improvement over the stock pads, and rotors...

Slotted Rotors + HAWK TRUCK / SUV Pads...

this set up will do just fine, and improve performance braking quite a bit !

just my .02 fella... hope I was of some help.

Overkill? The factory pads are ceramic as are a lot other vehicles built today. They are much quieter and very low dust.

I see no issues with ceramics as I have run them on numerous vehicles. With the correct rotors the fade and dust seems to go away. Before I plunk down the time and money I want to make sure there won't be an issue. The wife just came home complaining her car doesn't stop as well as mine (crafted her driving my car for a few days ;)) and I now have the green light. I'm new to the explorer but will post pics and reviews after. I'm OCD on fluids and brakes!

Here's My setup:

EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors (F&R)
EBC GreenStuff 6000 Pads (F&R)
Custom SS Braided Front Brake Lines
Red Painted Calipers

30095250066_large.jpg

Increased stopping power!!!

I redid the brakes in my '93 recently. new rotors (old ones were warped) and new pads.. i just used cheap pads.. regret it now, the next time i do brake work it's ceramic pads. and if i have the rotors off again they'll be getting upgraded to slotted as well. i tow a lot and i don't like overheating brakes.

Here's My setup:

EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors (F&R)
EBC GreenStuff 6000 Pads (F&R)
Custom SS Braided Front Brake Lines
Red Painted Calipers

30095250066_large.jpg

Increased stopping power!!!

Cool setup.:thumbsup: I just got the same rotors for the front of my Ex. I went with the Hawk HPS pads. Where did you find the SS brake lines. Also how dusty are the GreenStuff 6000 pads? I may return the Hawks and get the greenstuff 6000 or 7000

Thanks

I think the factory brakes are really weak on these. I had about 50k miles before I swapped out mine. We don't tow on it hardly at all, but we are going to pick up a boat and/or a trailer at some point in the future. I live in Arizona and going up in the mountains wouldnt be an issue with the v8...but going back down with these brakes would be an issue. I ended up replacing all 4 rotors with Brembo Blanks and all 4 with OEM Ceramic pads. MUCH improved. I used to have a Trans Am and did a bunch of racing with it and most guys stay away from the chinese cross drilled rotors since they tend to crack alot. Too many to count. Trust me...if you want to spend the money...get Brembo blanks (no drills) and ceramic pads (greenstuff is a good upgrade). You can get good ceramics for $50 a set...green stuff is 2x that.

Best budget upgrade is brembo blanks and oem ceramics.

best money no object upgrade is brembo cross drilled and green stuff. The bradied hoses are nice....i think over kill for daily driver. To each his own.

Back