• Register Today It's free!

Driv pwr dr lock

Walrus

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Payne, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
Been a while since I have lurked around here... Good to see the board is quite active!

I am looking for a little assistance with my 98 4dr 4x4 xlt. My power door locks are no longer unlocking with the driver door switch. Here's my research so far:

Switch is good. Removed switch, used a volt/ohm to verify continuity. Ground is good. I removed the wire that should be continued to ground when the switch is pressed and shorted it to ground... No unlock. I measured for voltage at the lock wire... 12 volts. I checked for voltage at the unlock wire... No voltage.

I got out my haynes manual, wiring schematic shows 3 relays in the aux relay box#4. I opened up the jack storage panel, and found the relay panel there to include 2 larger, and 2 smaller relays. I swapped the two larger (could feel one click when door was locked), and still no unlock from driver door. I did not mess with the two smaller relays.

Anybody got any idea?

Well, after further searching (using various iterations of power lock, etc) i have gleaned a bit of info that I'll put to use. I am still looking for info on which relay is the driver unlock?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

RM Smith
Walrus

I replaced my old switch (1st Gen) with a new switch........it wouldn't "lock" when activated..........w/ the new switch it works fine.

BTW...FORD dealership door lock switch was about $21.00.......and they have different part numbers for left and right (1st Gen).

I took apart the old switch and looked inside.......it really is a simple switch.....and even when I tested it (continuity tester) it checked out fine. The new one was also tested and it functioned exactly like the old......when certain contacts were touched and swtich was activated.

Perhaps, just cleaning the contacts might do it. Or just cleaning up the contact poles where they push into the switch.

FOR ME (when installed) the old switch still doesn't work.......but, the new one does. So, I don't know what to think.

Aloha, Mark

the wire is likely broken inside your door post / column. From opening and closing the door, they fatigue and you get these kind of symptoms / problems.

Thanks, guys... I'll tackle again next weekend.

I actually checked for voltage on the unlocking wire (to ground) and found none, while there was 12v on the locking wire to ground. I also shorted the unlocking wire to ground, which should have been the equivalent to operating the switch, and no success.

I believe Bud is right... broken wire. Now I gotta figure out how to get to the wiring without destroying the black barrel. I saw a post on this during my earlier searches, and will look for it again. Hopefully, I'll be able to isolate and repair. Sure is a pain that the switch does not work. Strange thing is the key does unlock all the doors, after the second turn of the key (which, as I understand it, is by design). Its all about multi-pathways for the electric communication :D

Back