• Register Today It's free!

Drive and die

tipdrill

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4dr 2wd
Lately I have been having a problem with my 4.0 SOHC.

At first the idle was a little rough, and every once in a while when I would start the engine and shift to Drive it would die on me.

Well everyone on here claims that cleaning the MAF will do wonders so I cleaned it a few weeks ago. Right afterwards it idled smooth and I had no problems.

Recently almost everytime I put the car in drive (especially after Reversing) it will die. If it doesn't die the idle will get real rough (about 400 rpm and then it will surge to 1100 rpm to keep it alive).

Any suggestions? I will have a week off from school next week so I'm thinking about taking it to a mechanic and having the fuel filter changed and the o2 sensors looked at.

Btw, I don't get a CEL (until it dies of course) I don't think i have any stored codes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the truck stalled, I think there should be a code in there just from that alone- I would have them read so you know what the Ex might be telling you... But I like jt's thought- and it's easy to do.

I fought a similar issue, replaced my IAC, that worked for a while, then it came back. I just ran a can of Seafoam through the tank, and it's much better now.

If I were you though, I'd just try cleaning or replacing your IAC, it's the most likely culprit.

that sux bout the x

Well i took it to AutoZone and no codes were stored. I plan on cleaning the IAC, I'm assuming my MAF cleaner will work for this as well?

It seems as if it is worse when it is cold outside. It has warmed up considerably and the problem is better.

Thanks for the suggestions.

oh, well that tends to be symptoms of the lower intake gaskets (O-rings).

When they warm up, they expand, closing the gaps.

Thanks.
I will look into that.
It hasn't happened in while but the temps get up in the 80's now.

I noticed it was running rough (low rpm's today) at a few red lights. It's driving me cray.:eek:

Back