Drive shaft or something else – Really Confused! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drive shaft or something else – Really Confused!

Badspell68

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD 4-Door
HELP finding a "front drive shaft" for a 97 AWD V8 5.0 explorer? A new

Anyone know where I can get a "front drive shaft" for a 97 AWD V8 5.0 explorer? A new one would be best?

:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New ones are going to run you around $400 from Ford. You can get a remanufactured piece from NAPA for around $250 with your old driveshaft as a $30 core.

How does that work, do you send in the old shaft?

My dealer was trying to sell it to me for over $600

I'm wondering if they are correct on the assessment...when I turn left there is a banging noise?

Would I need the 6 bolt or the 4?

If you're hearing a banging noise, check your u-joint first. If there is any play in the u-joint, that could be your problem. $12 for a new one is a lot better than $250 for a shaft. As far as how it works, you go to NAPA and tell them to order you one. When you go back to pick it up, give them your old shaft and they knock $30 off the bill. BTW, if you're getting a new shaft, you'll most likely want to buy a new u-joint anyway. The other one is probably damaged if there was a problem with your driveshaft.

Explorer V8 AWD 5.0

When I turn left I hear a banging sound. The dealer told me the Front Drive shaft needs replacing and it is dangerous to ignore it as the front wheels may lock up. Another mechanic thinks it's the shaft that connects to the left wheel, bearings going bad (not sure what the part is called)

Could use a little help here as the dealers got me nervous about driving the truck. Could the driveshaft be bad and what are the signs of a driveshaft go bad?

I am afraid you are stuck on this one--it could be either-honest.
Without seeing for myself, I couldn't say,however--

the front driver side axle shaft "should" be the weakest link, and to be honest could be replaced yourself for around 100 bux--

if this doesn't fix the problem, you surely could replace the front drive shaft in 15 minutes yourself--
If I can, anyone can. There are very detailed instructions, with pictures, right here on the forum.

call NAPA for parts---

I merged your threads together.

Please do not post the same question twice be it a different forum or the same forum.

Sorry, thought I was making on slightly different in the correct place.

How would I know the drive shaft is going bad. Have a link to the post for the replacment?

How can I tell if the U-Joint is going bad?

The front of the driveshaft is pretty much self explanatory--just a few bolts and it is out-
then, take a real good look in the CV joint (ball looking thingy) area, right before it is a small rubber boot. You will need to remove the shaft to check this boot for a rip or hole
if it has a hole, it is either bad, or soon will be.

there are 6 bolts holding the front, and 4 holding the rear, of the shaft on place.

I believe the front bolts are torx #30, and the rear are 12mm 12 point

( or do I have that backwards---???)

Just be sure to raise the truck and secure it safely:thumbsup:

I'll find a good link for the front axle-cv-shaft replacement--

you might drive it with the shaft out ( for test only)--the noise will probably be gone. This doesn't eliminate the front axle shaft though-as it is no longer driven---

WARNING!!The truck will not hold in park with front shaft removed--just an FYI

On my '97 there are six 10mm bolts on the transfer case end & 4 hex head bolts with a torx in the center on the differential end.

I'm confused, are we talking about the front driveshaft from the t-case to the diff, or the right or left side CV shafts?

I'm confused, are we talking about the front driveshaft from the t-case to the diff, or the right or left side CV shafts?

In this thread the poster is trying to eliminate both--yes

2 threads were merged into one for this--so there may be some confusion to this point--

Thanks!
What would some symptoms be of a drive shaft going bad and is it true what the dealer said, the front wheels could lock up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!
What would some symptoms be of a drive shaft going bad and is it true what the dealer said, the front wheels could lock up?

ok, now I feel like we went in a big circle

to answer the first question

BANG BANG BANG

second part

I think he was trying to scare you, but it "might " happen I guess

Back