• Register Today It's free!

drive shaft problems

jimi8587

Reaction score
City, State
phx az
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 xlt
hey i have an 87 b2 with the touch botton 4wd system and i have the damn drive shaft with cvc joints on it is there any way that i can do a u joint drive shaft with out having to spend like 500 dollars on a new custom drive shaft i noticed the other day when i was at junk yard that they bolt to the axel the same way but the one with u joint bolt to the transfer case like a normal u joint should would the out put shaft fit on my transfer case

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

easy solution the earlier BII's had the same transfer cas eyou have and the same rear axle without the retarded cv style driveshaft.

So get one of those and bolt it in

Even better:
get the transmission mount and crossmember from a Ranger or 91-94 Explorer (non urethane mount trans x member), get the BW 1354 t case from the same truck with front and rear driveshafts.
Have the rear d shaft cut down and balanced to fit your BII.
Install new BW1354 t case, trans x member, driveshafts and consider getting the dana 35 ttb and 8.8 rear axle at the same time.

This will make you happy if you plan to keep your 87 BII for a while especially if you wish to build it up and make it more reliable

Just my 02

Your B2 should have a double-cardan driveshaft and if that is the case, changing the two u-joints that make the double-cardan end is doable.

Info here:
http://www.rblewis.net/personal/bronco/driveshaft/
No, they use CV joints (like FWD cars). I believe Napa carries the u-joint replacement shaft for under $200, I found mine in a junkyard for cheap. Or you can get the double cardan shaft and t-case yoke from an 84-85 b2, I'm just unsure about the lengths involved.

thanks for the info on the drive shaft.
on the b2 are the lifters solid or hydrolic im getting a lifter noise and im not sure if it is one not pumping up or need adjustment

thanks for the info on the drive shaft.
on the b2 are the lifters solid or hydrolic im getting a lifter noise and im not sure if it is one not pumping up or need adjustment

Those engines have been known to have an oiling problem, especially with the cam bearings. I'm almost certain that year engine has solid lifters. No matter what you have adjust the valves. Here's a hint, take a screwdriver or even a piece of wooden dowl or ratchet extension and place on top of valve cover. Place your ear on the other end and start moving along the top of the valve cover. Then you can almost pin point what rocker is making the noise. Then once you've found it. Pull engine and slap in a 5.0 :salute:

already did that it the number 3 cylinder i was thinkin about doing a v8 in it but if i do a motor swap im going to stay with a v6 i like the gas milage that they get u get more distance when ur out in the middle of no where i hate luggin **** load of gas around just so u can go out for a few days

Those engines have been known to have an oiling problem, especially with the cam bearings. I'm almost certain that year engine has solid lifters. No matter what you have adjust the valves. Here's a hint, take a screwdriver or even a piece of wooden dowl or ratchet extension and place on top of valve cover. Place your ear on the other end and start moving along the top of the valve cover. Then you can almost pin point what rocker is making the noise. Then once you've found it. Pull engine and slap in a 5.0 :salute:
Your engine has hydraulic lifters, 2.8s had solid lifters.
Adjusting them probably wont help, the worn parts of the valve train need to be replaced.

i thought it was hydrolic lifters

Probably a little late but I sell a conversion where we replace the GKN heads w/ U-joints. $160.00...

Probably a little late but I sell a conversion where we replace the GKN heads w/ U-joints. $160.00...

Hi

Could you quote me a price for a rear GKN (that is what is in it) driveshaft, or maybe your conversion shaft. 88 bronco ll 2.9 4x4 5spd man trans. also please include approx shipping to..

max zuckerberg
five star ford
7100 e mcdowell rd
scottsdale az 85257
parts@fivestarford.com

thank you

max

Solved my problem. Tried to rebuild the shaft but it was completely shot. Had a new on made... a conversion u-joint type... for 225.00 and it works great. 80mph (75mph limit on the freeway here in AZ) now and no vibration!!

Back