• Register Today It's free!

Drive slipping/clunking

thomasfox

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer
Hi Guys, first time poster here on this forum.

I bought a '97 Ford Explorer in Dec2012, mint condition with low kms.

Not long after I bought it there developed a clunking/slipping in the drive train under hard acceleration or driving up a hill.

I took it to a garage who replaced the clutch. Within 200km it was starting do do the same again, and it was now harder to select gears !! At this point I was on a 4000km round trip so I nursed it on and brought it straight back to the garage.

Owing to work commitments it was with them for some 5 weeks before I collected it last weekend. The manager wasnt there but I did speak to the mechanic who initially fitted the clutch. He said they took it for a drive, warmed it all up and cudnt find a problem. I drove it home not convinced it had magically fixed itself, and I'm sure it hasnt, feels like its starting to slip again :mad:

They did not machine the flywheel when they replaced the clutch, but claimed it was fine. Its a 3.5 hr round trip to the garage and now the registration has expired and I'm sick of chasing it up !!

Is there any other part of the drivetrain that could cause slipping/clunking like a dodgy viscous coupling ? The best way to describe is it feels like its slipping then getting a grip again ?!

Many thanks

Thomas Fox

Back