Driveline Rumble

sloxploder

Reaction score
City, State
Smithfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hey guys,

I have a vibration in my drivetrain, somewhere near the rear I think. It is only present when Im starting from a dead stop while turining. Its pretty noticeable, enough to feel like a rumble. It doesnt happen every time either. Anyway, could this be my U joints? I do have the LSD rear, thats what im afraid of. Alright, thanks in advance.

-Geoff

rumble, while turning, from the rear...

my gut says rear wheel bearings.

usually if its a u-joint, it doesnt matter if you are turning or not.

If your rear wheel bearings are on the way out, you might actually have bigger issues; a lack of gear lube would run those suckers dead.

If this is the case then you need to inspect this ASAP. Check around the wheel bearing seals, around the pinion, and the differential cover to make sure nothing is leaking.

If it is the clutches and steel in the limited slip, you can replace those yourself. Although i dont think its your limited slip.

But its hard to tell by sound alone...

What i would do, is drive in circles to make the noise as LOUD as possible. I would also have a buddy stand outside the truck to see if he can hear the noise, and possibly pin point where its coming from.

But again, normally if you hear a vibration only while you're turning, its associated somewhere around the outter-driveline (wheels).

Back