• Register Today It's free!

driver door power lock switch.

therise21

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
i get out of my car today and hit the power lock switch on the drivers door. nothing happens. the unlock side still works, but the lock side doesnt. i guess this means i nedd a new switch right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how bout the other switches - i.e. pass door & tailgate switch? how bout the keypad & keyfob?

I have the exact same problem. The lock side of the button worked intermittently for a while, and still does if I push it about ten times. In my case, everything else works fine, so I'm hoping I can just clean the contacts on the switch, or replace it altogether. I'll find out when I get around to taking the door panel off.

update: all the other switches in the car work, windows, window lock etc. i ididnt notice before, this only happens when the door is open. when the door is closed, the lock side of the button works fine. any suggestions?

bad wiring

I had the same problem and it was traced back to a bad wiring connection in the black barrel that you can see when you open the door (door and front panel). If you do a search using my name you will probably find the thread on that topic. Chances are your swich is fine...

therise21 said:
i get out of my car today and hit the power lock switch on the drivers door. nothing happens. the unlock side still works, but the lock side doesnt. i guess this means i nedd a new switch right?

I have the exact same problem n my 98. Everything works fine. Remote,other switches,drivers door linkage and actuator are ok. Just the LOCK portion of the drivers door switch is inop. I replaced the switch...no help...others have suggested that I look carefully at the wire bundle betwee the door and body for broken or loose wires. Haven't done it yet. If you find a fix let us know! :usa:

Yep I had the same problem and I looked in the black barrel in the driver's door and one of the wires had snapped. Just get yourself a little bit of wire and two butt connectors and you should be good to go. To access the wires in the black barrel: first take a flathead screwdriver and pop the top cap off, then take a socket and start unscrewing, then once unscrewed, you will have accress to the wires in the rubber sleeve. Just probe around until you see your problem.

HOpe this helps.

Same problem

I have a similar problem, however, none of my windows work from the driver's or other switches.

Any suggestions?

Mine does same thing?!?!

therise21 said:

Mine does the same thing. Any luck with yours? Thanks!

Joe

hey im new here but i just went tru this same issue, there is a cable plug that connects the actuator cable to the door frame, my cable was pinched between the actuator and the frame, and split the cable i had a short and the actuator was dead, cable is a quickfix, and remove it from its spot, then zip tie it somewhere else, and the actuator is like $50 at autozon, hope that was help

I'm having the opposite issue . . . .

driver side switch locks and unlocks all 4 doors fine.

pass door switch does NOT work - neither locks nor unlocks, like it's dead.

is it the switch or a wiring issue?

Thanks,

Harry

BTW this is on a 92 Expl 4 dr XLT

Black barrel- had the same issue in my Taurus SHO, and the switch and door wiring are essentially the same. Bad contact in my case...

Back