• Register Today It's free!

driver puddle lamp

thegoon543

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Escape Hybrid Limited
i have not posted in quite some time but glad to know this resource is here.

for a while, the driver side puddle lamp would turn on with the other interior lamps when i'd open a door or unlocked with the remote as normal. then it started going out when i opened the driver door, only to turn back on when it was all the way open. now it doesn't work at all (all other lamps work). i tried replacing the bulb, but got nothing.

i suspect a frayed wire going to the puddle light, but trying to sort through the large wire bundle going to the door seems difficult. everything else on the door works except the unlock side of the lock switch (unrelated, i think). i've pulled off the wire boot b/w the door and body but cannot see anything obvious. i know the wire to this puddle light is black with a pink stripe, but not sure where it would be frayed. i'm hoping to fix it w/o having to remove the door but don't know where to start looking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't help all that much, but use a multimeter to check the continuity from the wire in the bundle to the wire at the lamp. That would at least tell you if issue is on door side or car side. I assume you found the correct wire since you posted the color code for it. Check the ground as well.

If you do not get a good reading, clip off the last inch or so at the bulb and try again. I just fixed my starter by cutting off about 2 inches for the starter relay at the starter itself. The multimeter told me the rest of the wire was good.

Just my 1 cent (inflation adjusted), for all I know you already did this!

thanks for the tip. unfortunately it began pouring rain now and without cover, it will have to wait for now. i'll check back once i'm able to check the continuity.

have you tried replacing the bulb? sometimes these small bulbs will work intermittently.

edit: i see you did replace the bulb.

there are a bunch of wires that go through the black plastic cylinder in the driver's door jam. there's a small plastic plug on top of the cylinder and a 10mm bolt under the plug. clip off the plastic tie that holds the rubber boot on the bottom of the cylinder and roll the boot back. then unscrew the 10mm bolt on the top of the cylinder and the bottom will come off the cylinder (note: the bolt does't come out). most likely you'll find a broken wire in there, as opening and closing the door over the years eventually can break the wires at this stress point.

i find it easier to remove the door (just 4 bolts) to make it easier to work in the small space.

for free wiring diagrams:
I would recommend getting your specific model wiring diagram. You can find one at http://search.ebscohost.com/. Use RRCC and rebsco when signing in

And to add to what the others have said the lock switch is probably the same problem, a broken wire

Interesting. The "puddle light" on my truck doesn't work either, and neither does the "lock" from the switch. Tried the bulb, tried a lock switch, not that important to start digging through the wire harness until springtime...

Bill

After many months of waffling I finally got around to it. Both the puddle lamp and lock switch problem were caused by broken wires in the door boot. Little did I know I'd be solving 2 problems instead of 1.

The black wire with the purple stripe goes to the puddle lamp and the pink wire with the green stripe goes to the unlock side of the lock switch. Both wires were cleanly cut about 2" from the door wire "socket" (not frayed as I had anticipated).

I just used some crimp connectors to reconnect them.

After many months of waffling I finally got around to it. Both the puddle lamp and lock switch problem were caused by broken wires in the door boot. Little did I know I'd be solving 2 problems instead of 1.

The black wire with the purple stripe goes to the puddle lamp and the pink wire with the green stripe goes to the unlock side of the lock switch. Both wires were cleanly cut about 2" from the door wire "socket" (not frayed as I had anticipated).

I just used some crimp connectors to reconnect them.

thank you for posting the results of your investigation and fix. many times we give people advice and we never hear from them again.

Back