Driver Seat Foam Replacement/Rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver Seat Foam Replacement/Rebuild

mdisalvo

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Eddie Bauer Explorer
My explorer driver seat has always been kinda funky ever since I bought it from a rather large guy. It had a lean towards the center console which just slowly got worse with time and the foam had pretty much flattened out, so I decided to do some work on it this weekend.
B2E8BB9B-CD89-4813-B9D9-A0DA72B9049A_zps0jahlv95.jpg

Here's the seat pulled out, if you look at the left side, halfway up where it's kinda wrinkly, you can sort of make out the bar from the frame pushing through the leather. It had gotten so bad that the side of the seat would rub the center console if you moved the seat forward/back, there is supposed to be an inch or two gap in there.

Once I pulled the seat covers off (bottom is pretty simple, the top had to be forced a bit more), I found the foam was almost completely ripped up the side allowing the bar to come through.
6026B3EA-2818-48E6-862F-F5460FCE4FEC_zps5hz0wyum.jpg

Then I found the lumbar support piece had been completely snapped off as well, yay.
C342A99E-5261-4B64-8D2C-5F027AEC20C7_zpsobwjbnbq.jpg

So I fixed this with some zip ties, which I later reinforced with even more zip ties (the part was something like 130 and I thought I would try this first).
64F623D1-474D-4820-8F70-6C67D652E6A7_zpsjobbozn0.jpg

A4491DBB-042C-4C5F-9B89-5377B58055BC_zpsjkpjhkzq.jpg

Then I got some industrial strength spray adhesive and foam supplies from Michaels to add some padding to the seats and fix the rip (fingers crossed it doesn't re rip on me...if it does I'll just get the new foam piece from Ford assuming they have it).
61EEC35D-6D21-4FD6-81A7-9BC22FDD6D26_zpslvveemqi.jpg

I glued the rip first, which seemed to stick pretty well, then started cutting and adding new poly batting around the foam.
AA555D5A-D08A-47B9-964B-6F591B089C37_zps3fo8bvxu.jpg

E0452CF2-C7C2-45CF-BA0F-40DA0AD97EE2_zpsw4apucwn.jpg

I put the foam seat cushions back in place once I was satisfied with the added cushion and spray glued the heated seat pads back in place (my bottom seat cushion had shorted, so I soldered a new wire in place).
C5D00E02-D358-49E8-859E-EF228DB42F65_zpsnecuqpiv.jpg

Then I put the top cover back on first which was definitely the harder of the two. I had to really shove it on to fit the new padding in there. The bottom wasn't too bad. There was a youtube video on replacing the seat cover that helped too.

Here it is finished up and then back in the car, it definitely feels better and the lean is gone. I'm hoping fixing the snapped lumbar support will help prevent that from happening again. If the foam does re rip then I'll buy the new foam piece from Ford and replace it, but for now the seat feels much much better and only cost me around 30 bucks and a half days worth of work.
94A293AD-6606-4D1A-90ED-8A99565B4E3D_zpsb405laeg.jpg

223BEA7C-BB2D-4DA5-81A0-3251093E037F_zpsqi6pyuzc.jpg

Hopefully this might help someone else to rebuild/restore their old padding on the cheap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is great. I have the same issue. Previous owner wasn't fat at all, but was tall. Obviously leaned to his right while driving.

I bet your center console lid is cracked as well. The hard plastic piece under the rubber cover. Part of leaning to the right is putting the elbow in the console.

It sure is, any idea what the part costs on that one? Drove the car to work today, it feels like a recliner now :) I'm also sitting about 2" higher than I was before which is a bit different but I like it.

I just grabbed one from a wrecking yard for $8.
I originally pulled the cover and glued a thin piece of wood to it, then recovered it.

Everyone gets in and puts all their weight on this thing centered on their elbow. It's to light weight.

It sure is, any idea what the part costs on that one? Drove the car to work today, it feels like a recliner now :) I'm also sitting about 2" higher than I was before which is a bit different but I like it.

I have an 03 Explorer that I am parting out with a gray interior with a good center counsel lid. It looks like the same color as yours. If your interested I will sell it for $15 shipped

Mine is tan, I'm pretty sure grey would be the non matching color...do you have a pic?

Mine is tan, I'm pretty sure grey would be the non matching color...do you have a pic?

I don't have a picture, but mine is definitely gray...kind of a medium to dark gray.

I don't have a picture, but mine is definitely gray...kind of a medium to dark gray.

You reuse the rubber outer cover from your own car. All you need is the hard plastic piece that is under it. Just open the lid and make sure it isn't cracked first.

The part is crazy stupid at Ford.

You reuse the rubber outer cover from your own car. All you need is the hard plastic piece that is under it. Just open the lid and make sure it isn't cracked first.

The part is crazy stupid at Ford.

The plastic part is good...my wife is petite...she could sit on it and not break it.

Thin sheet metal under the foam/cover on the armrest will fix that. One of my first fixes for the x. I used an old washing machine lid and is a bit too thick but its solid now.

That's the one...although you might want to check Ford to see how much it is there as well.

Thanks, I checked with my dealer and it was more expensive?

How is the zip tied lumbar support holding up?

Very well, seems to be just fine so far.

So on 2nd gens, the seat cushions are the same left/right. So you can get a "new" or much less used passenger seat cushion and swap it into the driver seat from a junkyard.

Not sure if the same holds true for 3rd gens.

So on 2nd gens, the seat cushions are the same left/right. So you can get a "new" or much less used passenger seat cushion and swap it into the driver seat from a junkyard.

Not sure if the same holds true for 3rd gens.

Very good point, definitely works for the top portion but I'm not certain about the bottom piece.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back