• Register Today It's free!

Driver seat frame broken...

BigZack65

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
The frame to the driver seat in my '98 XLT broke and now my seat leans back and it is uncomfortable for me to ride for too long because I have to pull myself back up. Any advice on how to fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing happened to my '92. Tried several methods to fix it but ended up replacing the entire seat in the end.

I had the same problem...I removed the seat, pulled back the upholstery and welded the frame back together. It's about the only thing you can do short of replacing the seats altogether.

Had the same problem. I ended up getting a set of front seats from the junkyard.

Mine broke when I was at the ATM. I was leaning on the back of the seat to get my wallet out of my pants and it just snapped.

I left the rear seat folded down and it kept the drivers seat at a decent angle until I replaced it.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the 98's had a recall for the driver seat reclining bolt. If it broke the seat would fall back.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the 98's had a recall for the driver seat reclining bolt. If it broke the seat would fall back.
Good call-you are correct.

I was told about this recall, but told that it was a closed recall and that the bolt that they used as a replacement still didn't keep the seat from breaking and that there was nothing they could do if the seat was already broken.

That sounds like Ford to me. Last in customer service :D

Anyone here sell seats or know where to get them besides a junk yard or straight from Ford? I had the same experience, leaned back to get my phone out of my pocket and the next thing I know I was starring up at ceiling!

my passenger seat broke and i held it up for a month or 2 with a cargo strap...the rachet kind. but then i found a different color seat at a junk yard and just swapped fabric.

My 2000xlt had the recliner bolt break, I understand about trying to drive with it like that. As far as the bolt, I fixed it myself in about 30minutes. I unclipped the J clips at the bottom of the back and pulled the fabric up enough to get too the broken bolt. I took the broken bolt to the local Tractor Supply (they are a local farm supply store, like an automotive store without the specific parts but lots of other stuff) I got a bolt and about 5 washers to into the hole in the frame that raises and lowers. I of course got a bolt the proper size, If memory serves me correctly the bolt I used was Metric, the washers were SAE. The bolt I got was a stainless steel bolt that has worked perfectly now for 2 years.

BTW the worst part of the job was disengaging the J channels from each other.

David

Anyone here sell seats or know where to get them besides a junk yard or straight from Ford? I had the same experience, leaned back to get my phone out of my pocket and the next thing I know I was starring up at ceiling!

If you find someplace online, post the link if you would. I'm in the same boat as you are (broke mine getting my cell phone out).

I looked at some replacement seats (read as racing seats) on ebay, and I'd rather not go that route.

Thanks!

:salute:

Busted mine a total of 4 time in the last 6 years! Just head down to the local junkyard and pick up a seat frame and swap it out. Did the recall on the bolt as well and it hasn't made any difference at all.

Same thing happened to me. Frame cracked just below the recline mechanism. I think I'm going to go the junkyard route. Does anyone know what model years will work for a '99 XLS (besides just a '99)? Thanks in advance.

Back