• Register Today It's free!

Driver Seat Issue

airic

Reaction score
City, State
milford
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
My wifes 02 Explorer's driver seat will move back and forward and the rear section of the seat will also go up and down,but the front half of the seat will not.Anyone else have this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure what you mean by the front of the seat going up and down. I will check mine out.

As far as I know, the only part of my seat that is electric is the forward/backward motion for the entire seat. The seat back is moved manually after pulling the lever.

You have me wondering. Will report back later tonight.

On my wife's truck the drivers seat I can get the front and rear part of where you sit on the seat to move up and down.

Sorry, I forgot to check mine. I will do it tomorrow and report back tomorrow night.

look under the seat do you have 2 or 3 motors, if 3 you have a 6 way seat. probably a bad motor.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

My whole seat does pivot forward/back when I move the adjustment switch up/down. Haha, I never knew I had this feature. I will explain it better with pictures when I get home.

Good deal, thanks. I will get some pics tomorrow and explain how the seat moves with the switch.

Haven't got the pics to explain how the seats move using the switch. Hopefully will have them up tonight.

I do have to take out my driver's seat to deal with the air bag LFC 33 issue so I will take some pics of the seat motors so you can see if yours is the same and should be working forward/back & up/down.

Fixed my LFC 33 issue but it started raining as I was taking the seat out to snap some pics so I had to rush to put everything together. As a result, I didn't get the pictures.

I am going to be changing the instrument cluster soon and will get the pics then.

Sorry about the delay and thanks for your patience. ;)

Well now the seat works fine and I was just about to pull the seat out to work on it.

Nice! :D:thumbsup:

I had a broken / intermittent wire in my harness. Solder spliced it right where the harness comes oft of the carpet.

I need some advice in this area too. I have the 6 way memory seats. The driver seat front will not come up. I can hear the motor trying but no action. Is anything repairable or replacable between the motor and the seat lift pivot/worm gear? Only parts I have seen listed is the entire frame/rack at ~$700.

I am having a similar problem with my 02 Eddie Bauer. Everything with the seat works except the rear hight adjustment. I can hear the motor spinning, but no movement. Pretty sure the gears are stripped. I'm going to try and pull the failed motor and find a replacement. If I can't find one, I am going to try and repair the broken one. If still no luck, I guess I will be replacing the entire frame and put the old functional parts up for sale. I will get pics and progress posted when I start (hopefully soon).

by chance are they at the max or min of travel?
With mine the front was a low as it could go. Next thing you know its stuck, i can hear a click but no movement. For me i was able to unbolt the seat, tilt it forward, grab the offending threaded screw thing, and grab it with vice grips and found it could be turned easily. I was able to back it off 1 turn, after which it started working again.

I thought i saw some motors on fleabay. . .dealer wanted to sell the whole track.
Other than that you can check a local JY. . .

I tried something like that a while back with unbolting the seat and attempting to get the worm gear to move. Mine seemed pretty stuck. Ended thinking the problem is in a little gearbox that takes the motor output. Not sure though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine was an easy turn without any resistance. Before that, i looked thinking i had to replace the motor/gearbox and it wasn't promising. Dealer $$$, JY want to sell the whole seat. If you have a pic-u-pull you might you might get lucky and find an exact match with another car/truck (ex. F150, escape)?

Back