Driver seat replacement - compatibility across model years | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver seat replacement - compatibility across model years

Alex L

Reaction score
City, State
Reading PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
Hey Guys. I have a 2015 PIU with the all black cloth driver and passenger seats. Like most interceptors with some solid use, the driver seat is ripped on the bolster and some foam ripped. I am looking to find a replacement driver seat through a salvage parts supplier (car-part.com). From my research and what ive seen, there are 2015 PIUs with the all black seats like the 2016+ model and then some with the charcoal/black seats like the 2013/2014 model years. It appears they changed mid to late year (2015), in preparation for the 2016+ switchover to all black seats.

My question is will 2016 or 2017 seats be compatible in a 2015? Ive been trying to find one from a 2015 (so I wouldnt have to worry about compatibility issues), but since half the model year is charcoal/black it is somewhat hard to find an all black 2015 driver seat in good condition. There alot more from 2016/2017 model years abailable which is why Im wondering if this would work. Can anyone confirm a 2016 or 2017 would work with no issues? Would all seatbelt/airbag plugs match up? Has anyone else completed a similar swap? Any info would be appreciated.

Car-part.com seems like an awesome reacousre for parts. Ive been looking on ebay and google for a few parts since i picked up my interceptor with virtually no luck. Car-part has tons of parts from PIUs all over the country. Maybe yall already know about this resource, sorry if you do lol.

Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Alex. Have you considered a leather seat from a retail Explorer? Question about front seats

Peter

I have not only because then the driver seat would not match the passenger or I would have to buy another seat for the passenger in order to match. Plus the cloth will hold up better for what I use the PIU. Being a firefighter the cloth IMO will hold up a little better then leather as well.

Im looking to go with the cloth seat but thanks for bringing up that option.

Anyone have any experience swapping a seat from a newer model PIU with an older one? Found a driver seat from a 2017 with 7000 miles for a real good price. I have a 2015 that I am looking to put this in. My concern is the plugs and air bag. Will the 2015 accept this seat with no issues and throw no codes? Will the plugs line up? Any info or insight would be appreciated. Seat is about a 3 hour drive from me or else Id buy it and give it a try, but don't want to make the drive for nothing. TIA

Looking for matching front black leather buckets. 2015ish-2019ish.... don't care about any options take em or leave em. I have 2, 16 black cloth buckets. Perfect condition. Can trade idc. Hmu, hungry for any info and people who know all the tricks!

Hey Guys. I have a 2015 PIU with the all black cloth driver and passenger seats. Like most interceptors with some solid use, the driver seat is ripped on the bolster and some foam ripped. I am looking to find a replacement driver seat through a salvage parts supplier (car-part.com). From my research and what ive seen, there are 2015 PIUs with the all black seats like the 2016+ model and then some with the charcoal/black seats like the 2013/2014 model years. It appears they changed mid to late year (2015), in preparation for the 2016+ switchover to all black seats.

My question is will 2016 or 2017 seats be compatible in a 2015? Ive been trying to find one from a 2015 (so I wouldnt have to worry about compatibility issues), but since half the model year is charcoal/black it is somewhat hard to find an all black 2015 driver seat in good condition. There alot more from 2016/2017 model years abailable which is why Im wondering if this would work. Can anyone confirm a 2016 or 2017 would work with no issues? Would all seatbelt/airbag plugs match up? Has anyone else completed a similar swap? Any info would be appreciated.

Car-part.com seems like an awesome reacousre for parts. Ive been looking on ebay and google for a few parts since i picked up my interceptor with virtually no luck. Car-part has tons of parts from PIUs all over the country. Maybe yall already know about this resource, sorry if you do lol.

Alex
You can just buy a new cushion and seat cover. Search tasca or varsity ford for part numbers. Seat frame is compatible from 2013-2019.

Ford seats from 16 and newer use a different canbus speed therefore all components will have to be swapped, air bags, seat belt buckle on driver's seat

Ford seats from 16 and newer use a different canbus speed therefore all components will have to be swapped, air bags, seat belt buckle on driver's seat
Very curious why i am not throwing an srs light. All i changed in my 17 were the buckles and weight sensor. The passenger airbag on off light is working now where it hadn’t before i swapped the sensor. The best route would be just to find the right year seats next time 😅

Actually the seatbelt is what took so long to figure out. That was original to the vehicle but only happened after the seat fun.

Back