Driver side coolant antifreeze leak & water drips? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver side coolant antifreeze leak & water drips?

TheDrewster

Reaction score
City, State
Reno NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
So tonight I take the car (1998 Mountaineer V8) around the block for about 15/20 mins to make sure it was still running good after replacing the filler neck & gas cap yesterday. I knew the car has a small oil leak, so when I parked it, I looked underneath to make sure there was no oil spillage on the pavement. No oil drips, which is awesome, but much to my dismaycI begin seeing small drips of green coolant coming from the right side under what I assume is the radiator housing. I am also seeing drips of water around that same area. I just bought the truck on Sunday and I don't know the history of any of it's previous repairs/maintenance.

I can't tell if it is coming from the radiator or not. What should I look for and are there any similar issues people have had?

probably the radiator. remove the black plastic piece under the rad (4 10mm bolts) to get a better look. what usually happens is that the plastic end tanks start to leak where they're crimped onto the aluminum core. can't really be fixed. new rads can be had for $130'ish.

I've installed one on my 2000 Mountaineer V8 about 2 years ago and just did one on my 2000 Explorer V8 about a month ago. only hard part is removing/reattaching the A/C condenser. JoeDirt has a good thread w/pics on replacing the 5.0 radiator.

Back