• Register Today It's free!

Driver side lock troubles.

Spudghettios

Reaction score
City, State
Findlay, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4.0SOHC
Hi, I've got a problem with my driver side door lock. I can't open it with the key or the keyless entry from the outside but it will open if I pull the handle from the inside. There is no resistance when opening from inside when locked or unlocked and when its unlocked it opens perfectly from the outside. I have been able to unlock it on occasion from the outside with the key but only after trying it numerous times in combination with the handle. It's a real hassle to unlock the passenger door and reach across to open the driver door so if anyone has a solution or insight to my problem it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance..
Spudghettios

try spraying some wd-40 in the lock hatch area, and its a common problem for a spring to come loose on the latch system.. if you do a search on it you will see..

i had the same problem and i used wd-40 in the latch area and its been working great since...

sometimes also those black plastic caps that sit on the rod that goes up and down when locking and unlocking can get stuck when trying to come up, unscrew that plastic cap and see if it still does it ..

Unfortunatly i have the same issue with my own truck. I discovered that if i ended up swapping one of my lock posts from the back door to the front that it helped it unlock with keyless entry however it still wont unlock from the door. I have tried using wd40 but no go, if anything it got stiffer :S

Ah another question on this topic. My keyless FOB remote was not working due to battery. I replaced the battery and it works but when I try to lock the door with it they all lock except for my driver's door. The lock will go down and then come back up. All my power locks work fine (except for driver's side unlock will not work). Any ideas? Is this standard? I would think the remote should lock all doors like any normal car. If I push the actual power lock button on the door it locks no problem.

Back