Driver Side Will Not Unlock (92ex sport) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver Side Will Not Unlock (92ex sport)

davetous

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
Yesterday I went to repair my Driver side power window, but found a lovely new problem that is going to delay my power window repair. The driver door will not unlock with the key and it also will not unlock from the power lock switch inside. The passenger door and the rear hatch work perfect. Is there a way I can get my driver door unlocked so I can look inside the door to see what is wrong?
I am assuming that something got disconnected. I dont think it is an electrical problem.
If anyone could help me out or point me to another thread it will be much appreciated!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yesterday I went to repair my Driver side power window, but found a lovely new problem that is going to delay my power window repair. The driver door will not unlock with the key and it also will not unlock from the power lock switch inside. The passenger door and the rear hatch work perfect. Is there a way I can get my driver door unlocked so I can look inside the door to see what is wrong?
I am assuming that something got disconnected. I dont think it is an electrical problem.
If anyone could help me out or point me to another thread it will be much appreciated!!!!

Crawl through the passenger door and open the door, it should unlock. When you take the door pad off check the bracket that holds the electronic module, I had mine break.

I tried that and the Driver side door still will not unlock. I tried to pull up on the lock indicator on the door and it seems to be jammed or something. I am thinking it may be a mechanical problem but I am not sure. Is there any other way to pop the lock?
Thanks for your help!

we just had the passenger back door do that, wouldnt unlock if you pulled the handle, pushed the button etc. I couldnt even pull on it... Got pliers and forced it to pull up so I could check it out, once I forced it up.... It stopped doing that

The plier trick worked and had the same results. It hasn't done it again. Thanks for your help.

your welcome, i finally got to help! you didnt happen to put on the lock after market cover things lately? the ones you get at like Wal Mart or Advance, screw ours off and screw the new one on, lock covers... i dunno what they are, but glad to help!!

Door lock 00 Explorer won't work w key on drv side

It seems we have an epidemic going. I have an issue where my driver's door would not unlock with the key except when turned and jiggled. WD40 did little good. It would unlock on the inside but the remote would not unlock it.

I peeled the door panel and found a lug on the key cylinder which holds the actuator rod. It seemed to revolve instead of moving the lug and actuator rod. It seemed to work normally until I put the door facing back on.

The odd thing is that now the remote works on the outside but the jiggle trick with the key is totally useless. I wonder if I will ruin the cylinder if I drill through the lug (nylon) and put a pin through the lug and cylinder shaft to force actuator movement? I won't drill but 1/8 inch back.

I'm glad I found this post so I could explain this problem with my sons' 98 Explorer Sport. The only way to unlock their drivers side door is from the inside. The keyless entry does not unlock it, the key does not unlock it nor the remote. We can hear the lock mechanism click but the door doesn't unlock. The keyless entry and the remote unlocks the passenger door and the rear. I haven't yet opened up the door to look at the mechanisms. I've seen several posts that describe working on the actuator and other ones that explain issues with the wiring in the large black cylinder. I'm not sure which one applies to my problem. Help, please!

There may be a separate actuator or apparatus for the outside remote. Any ideas for both of us are very welcome. I couldn't open mine from the inside until I spritzed the whole thing with WD-40 after disassembly.
KT
Merry Christmas!

i used to have a bad habit of locking my keys inside until i got smart and wired a key under the front bumper. to get in i would use a 30 inch long piece of wire a bit heavier than a coat hanger and go down the door between the weather strip and the glass. it would have a 90 degree bend about 1 inch at the end. i would put the same 1 inch bend in the other end so i could tell which direction it was facing. sliding it down the latch side feeling things as i go until it would pop up the button. to get the button to pop you push down, not pull up. it sounds like you have something broken or jambed in there. perhaps it is in need of lube. eventually the grease turns to a wax and things get sticky.
be patient trying this, most of us are not the "gone in 30 seconds" type and it takes a bit of fiddling to get in. close your eyes and visualize.
when you do get in make sure you keep things clean and lubed in the future. locks don't like grit.
if all else fails use dynomite. it is quick but pisses off the neighbours with the noise.

Back