• Register Today It's free!

Driver window loosing power?

sledgehammer1990

Reaction score
City, State
Doylestown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
While I was working on my explored yesterday, I took it for a test drive and when I pushed the btton to automatically roll down the window and of stopped halfway down. I would press the button again and it would go down all the way. If I hold down the button, the window will go down, but it will strugle in the middle.

Anyone have an idea if it is a power issue or is the motor dieing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What was it you were working on? Try hard wiring it.

if the window gets hard to roll down it will cause the motor to strain and pulls more amps....the auto down feature is a little circuit breaker inside the switch.....so when the window reaches the bottom of travel or a hard spot it trips the circuit breaker and the window stops. try to lube up the regulator and the window tracks. also...you said you were working on the door.....did you happen to pull the 11mm bolt that holds to bottom of the window track inside the door? cause ive done this many times.....if you pull that bolt and move the track around it will come unclipped at the top and when you put it back together the clip can get between the rubber part of the track and the outter metal part....causing a bulge right in the middle of the track and the window will slow down big time or even get stuck.......its kind of a pain to fix but that may be your problem......just a thought.

i was working on 4x4. had nothing to do with the window.

o i thought i read that you were working on the windows or doors or something.....well the first stuff i mentioned still applies...if the window is struggling in the middle it can stop the autodown. start with putting some lube in the window tracks and on the window regulator

The bushings are probably starting to wear out- next time you try it, roll down until it slows, then try to rock the window left to right (like front to back of the truck) and if it moves, your bushings are wearing out. It's stopping because it is binding 1/2 way down against the felt runners inside. Mine is doing the same thing...

When I was heading out for work, I gave it a quick test and it works fine now.

I was getting my car washed today and when the window was wet, i tried to roll down the window holding the button and it stopped half way down. when they wiped the window dry, it was fine.

Back