Driver window shenanigans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver window shenanigans

Guit4rG0d

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sports Trac
Hey guys. First post on the forums here, sure wont be my last.

Lately i've been having problems with my driver side window. First the window would go up when I hit the down switch. A few days later it wouldn't go up when the door was open, now the window is down and wont go up at all. Now when I hold the button for it to go up all I get is a clicking sound in the dash above the pedals. I have another motor to swap it out, but have no real direction on how to replace it.

Chilton does an excellent job helping me out by their step by step:
"Disconnect the power window motor wiring harness.
Remove the bolts to remove the window regulator motor.
Installation is the reverse order of removal. Tighten the motor mounting bolts to 8 ft. lbs"​
No pictures or any real help there

Any help with diagrams for motor removal or other fixes if the motor inst the case would be greatly appreciated

I can take the entire engine apart and put it back together again in 2 days, but interior electric problems baffle me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having a similar problem...did anyone ever help you?
I thought it was odd that the window would not work when the door was open, thought a pinched loose wire. I have looked and do not see anything.
Now none of my windows will work! The fuse checked good and, as mentioned, all connections/wires look good.
Could the main switch go out and kill all other windows? Are they tied together?
I'm not good at wiring issues either, so any assistance would be appreciated.

Oh, I have a 2002 Sport Trac.

It turned out that the switch was bad AND the driver side motor were bad.

Thanks, I assumed the switch was bad. I kept looking through the forum and found MANY posts with similar issues.

Guess I will get a switch and go from there. Thanks again!

Thats what I would recommend, switch is much easier to replace than the motor.

Let us know how it turns out

I am lagging on this issue.
I am just now getting around to buying the switch. I could not find ANY sport tracs, or explorers around the same year, in the junk yards. I went to 4 of them. They must be good. :D
Kragen (O'Reily's) gave me a Dorman part # 901-314. This is not the correct part. I searched several places on the Internet and found they too list this part number.
Has anyone encountered this? My truck has MFD date of 08/01.
All other 2002 parts have been correct.

Anybody know where I could get images of the switches? I can't read the numbers on the OE switch.

Thanks again for your help!

1st, do you have a test light and have you checked incoming power to the switch assembly? You should have power , 10-12 volts, on the light-blue/black stripe wire in the blue connector. If you have power on that wire and none of the windows work you can assume the switch is bad. Am I understanding the operation is affected by opening/closing the door? If that's the case you have a broken wire in the flexible boot between the door and the cowl.

01-03MasterWindowSwitch.gif

Back