• Register Today It's free!

Driver Window Stuck Sometimes

Chef Sharkos

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I have a 97 Explorer and I’m having issues with the driver window. When I try to roll down, it just makes a loud clacking noise and I have to push it down or it won’t go down. Same with rolling it back up. Pretty loud clacking noise. Any idea? Thanks for anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 97 Explorer and I’m having issues with the driver window. When I try to roll down, it just makes a loud clacking noise and I have to push it down or it won’t go down. Same with rolling it back up. Pretty loud clacking noise. Any idea? Thanks for anything.
Most likely a stuck regulator or a regulator going bad

Before more serious work, begin by replacing the window motor pucks, which are the weakest link(built in) and usually what fail first with a window issue. Also verify that the window is adjusted properly, it should not move around side to side at any point. Roll it half way down, and by hand try to move the back part up and the front part down, plus the opposite. The glass should not move much at all doing that, if it does, it needs to have the window guide adjusted. That's inside the door at the back, the long(20") glass guide, with a single bolt holding it at the bottom(gold head bolt at the bottom corner of the door). Loosen that bolt and move it forward until it has slight resistance, that makes the guide hold tighter on the glass at the back edge.

Those two things will help a lot. Also if there is any corrosion inside the glass channel(all around the top etc(it is one part), then rust will be squeezing on the glass, making it too tight at the front edge(the channel it slide inside of ).

/\ /\ Thanks for info CDW... I'm guessing he needs to do both... my windows (just did passenger too) were like his in that I had to seriously "assist" them going up or down, upon replacing regulator assembly's they both work great now, BUT I did NOT have major clacking but SOME. Ironically my drivers side which I did first, a while back, now makes chatter on it's first few inches going down so I think I might need to do the adjustment you brought to light....arrgg...have to take that panel off again....had to do this twice now to get dome light / door open light going as well!

I had an issue with my passenger window binding. I just greased the regulator tracks. Problem solved.

Back