Drivers door electrical panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers door electrical panel

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
Does the Switch Panel with all the Window switches and Locks just pop up with a screwdriver?

I don't have to pull the whole Door Panel off do I?

I gotta play in there. I think my Windo Lock is hanging up in the Locked position. I can use all the windows from the Drivers seat But the controls at the doors aren't working.
Any Suggestions other then the Lock Switch at the Drivers door?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had my door panel off before and I'd like to say you have to remove it from the inside of the door panel.

I can't say i'm sure but I would say better to be safe than sorry. The door panel is not that hard to remove. a few screws and the rest pops off.

I agree with double_take on the door panel removal at least as far as my 98X goes. I had the exact problem with the window lock switch. Removed my door panel pulled the switch and took it apart. I cleaned out the switch pretty good with electronics cleaner (i remember bending up the contact for the window lock switch to make sure it mated up well with the mechanical part of the switch. Reinstalled the switch and door panel and it's been working fine ever since.

I think the location of that switch panel makes it easy to get dirty........Spilling coffee or soda when entering the car or getting it wet when opening the door in a rainstorm etc.

It's a pretty easy fix and I think if you do a search (maybe even in "useful threads") you'll find instructions on removing the door panel.

Lee

I think there's a difference between the 1st gen and the 2nd gen. When I did my speakers I pulled the switch pannel before pulling the door. There's a very small slot at the bottom of the panny that you insert a flat head screw driver then, carefully pry up...if it feels like your going to break something stop, but it shouldn't. Then you'll need a phillips head to remove the retaining screws that hold the connector to the switches...be carefull here, I broke some of the mount off when I tightend them back up...they're old...and alittle brittle. Hope that helps

Good luck
CP

Oh I forgot (sorry now everyone will think i'm a post ***** :p) but if you hear something drop out of there...find it, there are little metal retaining clips that MIGHT fall out, if you loose them or don't replace them then the switch pannel won't seat right...it'll vibrate up.

Good Luck
CP :D

Oh, so you see, That's want I wanted to hear.

I will attack it gingerly. If it gets hairy, I'll pull the door panel. I had the back one off already. Gotta be close to the same.

Codepoet, I hope you are correct, That would make life easier and I can get to the real issue indstead of worrying about breaking plastic door clips. I watch for the Tinnerman clips falling

Thanks

Thanks everyone. All went well.

A screwdriver to the lower section brought it up, lift a little and pull to the back of the X and the whole thing comes out.

Ended up I didn't need to pull it at all. It ends up the previous owner was such a slob that so much gack ( mechanics term : )) ended up under the large switch button that it wouldn't disengage and come up. So the Window Lock was in the Locked position. I didn't realize that the switch pushes down for lock and then ratchets up again for unlock. So I didn't know what I was looking for. Anyway a quick for no money. best kind.

Back