Drivers door Intelligent Access door handle not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers door Intelligent Access door handle not working

SF31

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Exlorer Limited
Hey all,
Have a 15 Limited that the drivers door handle wont lock or unlock the doors when I grab/push handle. Passenger door and rear hatch work fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I had the same issue once but it cleared itself after playing with the locks.
Are you able to unlock/lock that door with the fob?

Peter

Thanks Peter

I am and tried playing with the locks hoping something might need freeing up but no luck. I don't know anything about explorers just picked this up last week.

Can you lock/unlock the driver's door with the key fob and the Securicode keyless panel on the door? If so that would indicate that the lock itself is working as far as receiving signals.

Peter

Yes only things that don't work are the buttons/sensors on the handles themselves

Thanks. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the actual system and don't know how it is set up. There is another thread somewhat similar to this issue and a member suggested perhaps it is a bad solenoid. Unfortunately, there was no followup to the issue which is frustrating.
Perhaps it is part shown as #8 in this diagram but I'm not sure. Lock & Hardware for 2015 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

Excellent thank you for your help peter I will look I to it more

When I approach the car I hear the door lock actuate to unlock the door. However, It does not unlock the drivers door. Then I use the key fob unlock button. All the doors unlock except for the drivers door. If I grab the door handle I hear the locks actuate to unlock but it doesn't. If I reach through the rear door and use the unlock button on the drivers door or the front passenger door, it unlocks.

How do I fix this issue?
Is there a Module I can reset? If so, how? Where is it? etc...

Are you saying that when approaching the Explorer the door lock unlock by themselves? If so, that is very unusual and abnormal I believe. Normally you have to touch the door handle if not using the fob. I've never had them open by themselves. Is this something that just started happening? Have you read through the Manual about the setup regarding the locking/unlocking of the doors?

Peter

Are you saying that when approaching the Explorer the door lock unlock by themselves? If so, that is very unusual and abnormal I believe. Normally you have to touch the door handle if not using the fob. I've never had them open by themselves. Is this something that just started happening? Have you read through the Manual about the setup regarding the locking/unlocking of the doors?

Peter
I did mis-state this. It is not when I approach....It is when I touch the door handle where the problem begins. It just started happening about 2 weeks ago. I triedthis with both key fobs with the same result.

I did mis-state this. It is not when I approach....It is when I touch the door handle where the problem begins. It just started happening about 2 weeks ago. I tried this with both key fobs with the same result.
Check to see that the settings for the door openings have not changed. I doubt they have since the driver's door is affected in all cases. I wonder if it could be the door actuator not 'seeing' the 'signal' from the fob and the handle since it seems to work with the interior manual switch. I don't recall this issue coming up here before.
Once it is open, are you able to lock it with your fob and the touch pad? Have you also tried the keyless Securicode pad to see if it unlocks/locks the door?

Peter

Check to see that the settings for the door openings have not changed. I doubt they have since the driver's door is affected in all cases. I wonder if it could be the door actuator not 'seeing' the 'signal' from the fob and the handle since it seems to work with the interior manual switch. I don't recall this issue coming up here before.
Once it is open, are you able to lock it with your fob and the touch pad? Have you also tried the keyless Securicode pad to see if it unlocks/locks the door?

Peter
I will check the settings for the door opening.
I can lock it with the fob.
I will check about the touch pad locking it.
I have not checked the keyless securicode pad...I've never used it.

If you can hear the door actuator try to unlock the drivers door and it isn't unlocking, it has to be an actuator or linkage issue. If it locks with the fob or button I would guess the linkage is ok and it is just a bad/weak actuator.

If it is out of warranty perhaps pop the door panel and see if the linkage may be broken or loose. Otherwise, I would change out the solenoid/actuator.

Can you confirm that you hear it(feel it) trying to unlock the driver's door?
If so, might not be the actuator itself, but the connection between the actuator and the lock.

Can you confirm that you hear it(feel it) trying to unlock the driver's door?
If so, might not be the actuator itself, but the connection between the actuator and the lock.
I think maybe there is some sort of Body Control Module which would send a signal from the remote to the door lock?
If this is true, would this "BCM" be the same one for the touch pad on the door handle?
If the unlock button on either of the front doors is used it unlocks the door.

You got me stumped on the BCM question.

Sorry, missed the part that you said interior buttons work in your original post. My bad.

When you touch the handle or use the fob, can you hear/feel if the drivers actuator is trying to work or does it do nothing?

Hey all,
Have a 15 Limited that the drivers door handle wont lock or unlock the doors when I grab/push handle. Passenger door and rear hatch work fine.
I have the exact same problem on my 15 Limited. Anyone find a fix?

I have the exact same problem on my 15 Limited. Anyone find a fix?
Are you able to lock/unlock the door with the Securicode keypad, the door switch and fob? As far as I know, no one has reported a fix.

Peter

Are you able to lock/unlock the door with the Securicode keypad, the door switch and fob? As far as I know, no one has reported a fix.

Peter
Yes, fob works fine, door pad works fine, hatch works fine, passenger side intelligent access works fine. Just the driver's side handle button and inside of handle won't work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure how this feature works electronically. Perhaps it through a sensor.:dunno:

Peter

Back