Drivers front turn signal doesn't flash but works as parking light - wiring diagram? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers front turn signal doesn't flash but works as parking light - wiring diagram?

Dudeth

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 explorer sport 2wd. Driver's front turn signal stopped flashing but it comes on as parking light. Replaced bulb but same issue. I hear the flasher clicking fast when I turn on the signal, rear light flashes and passenger side works fine. Tested the socket with the parking lights off and turn signal on and had no voltage at the socket. Also, the indicator in the dash doesn't flash, but the right one does. Seems like it has to be the flasher or a relay. Anyone have a wiring diagram? Any help troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I understand your post correctly, that when you put on your left turn signal, the rear bulb flashes but the front doesn't, then I suspect a wire fault or corrected connector between where the wire splits from front to rear blinker supply wires.

However then you wrote the dash indicator doesn't flash, which would instead be consistent with a problem with the multi-function switch or a wire fault BEFORE the point where it could get to the rear blinker, so the rear blinker shouldn't work.

Is it possible that the left rear turn signal now does not work, maybe it did when this started but now it's worse?

Since I just had to clean out my multi-function switch for a failing right blinker, I'm inclined to suspect yours has gone bad. Instead of getting a new one I just took the T10 screws out, cleaned the contacts with a petroleum based metal polish (brasso, or you could use gasoline to clean the hardened grease off then your choice of abrasive to clean the oxidized copper off), then put a light coat of silicone dielectric grease on the contacts.

There's a video on youtube that could help, but all it basically shows is to lay it flat on the table to take the screws out, take the cover off with care so nothing inside comes flying out.

Anyway, cleaning the switch out is *free* but for a few minutes of your time. If that doesn't help, then I'd look at other suspects.

See the link in my sig for more diagrams but that one is attached.

Attachments

• exterior-lights-exterior-lamps-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 178

I'm thinking a problem with the multi "malfunction" switch.

I changed the bulb with a new 3157, no effect. Then it started working spontaneously, then randomly stopped, then randomly started again. Now, suddenly, neither blinker works. lol Thinking I'll try replacing the flasher. Any other ideas?

If I understand your post correctly, that when you put on your left turn signal, the rear bulb flashes but the front doesn't, then I suspect a wire fault or corrected connector between where the wire splits from front to rear blinker supply wires.

However then you wrote the dash indicator doesn't flash, which would instead be consistent with a problem with the multi-function switch or a wire fault BEFORE the point where it could get to the rear blinker, so the rear blinker shouldn't work.

Is it possible that the left rear turn signal now does not work, maybe it did when this started but now it's worse?

Since I just had to clean out my multi-function switch for a failing right blinker, I'm inclined to suspect yours has gone bad. Instead of getting a new one I just took the T10 screws out, cleaned the contacts with a petroleum based metal polish (brasso, or you could use gasoline to clean the hardened grease off then your choice of abrasive to clean the oxidized copper off), then put a light coat of silicone dielectric grease on the contacts.

There's a video on youtube that could help, but all it basically shows is to lay it flat on the table to take the screws out, take the cover off with care so nothing inside comes flying out.

Anyway, cleaning the switch out is *free* but for a few minutes of your time. If that doesn't help, then I'd look at other suspects.

See the link in my sig for more diagrams but that one is attached.

Thank you very much! I will look into it further since it is acting up on me again.

Just a thought, did you check the socket that the bulb plugs into for corrosion or a loose contact to the bulb? I changed a rear bulb on my daughter's '00 Mountaineer recently and the bulb's connection was on the loose side, so I re-tensioned the socket a bit. Does the '01 front signal light take a #3157 (dual filament) bulb like the rear brake/tail light?

These vehicles have a known issue with the MFS connector factory wiring being too short causing contact problems. IF you have a tilting column cycle it all the way up and down several times leaving it all the way UP. If that solves the issue(s) you've found the problem.

https://www.sporttrac.org/mysporttrac.../steering_column_wiring_repair_gen1.pdf
These wires breaking the tiny retaining tabs and pulling out of the moon-shaped gray connector are a known issue on virtually all Ford trucks of that era. Not sure it's because the wires are too short, the plastic shell too brittle, or both. Cutting the wires off and soldering to a new pigtail connector is a solution, but quite the hassle (I chose to remove the steering wheel to have better access). Loved that hot glue trick, though if it oozes too far, it will damage the contacts -- but what do you have to lose at that point? If you go that route, make sure to unplug the connector from the MFS first - like the guy who posted that write-up did.

Replace the flasher first, those are the weakest link. The one side not working suggests more resistance in that circuit, so the electrical contacts along that path are more degraded. The bulbs sockets themselves are replaceable, at this age it would be smart to replace all of them which can be.

Use an LED compatible flasher also, many people are installing LED bulbs, which are harder for flashers to work with. Not all flashers work with LED's, even though virtually all of them say they do.

Just a thought, did you check the socket that the bulb plugs into for corrosion or a loose contact to the bulb? I changed a rear bulb on my daughter's '00 Mountaineer recently and the bulb's connection was on the loose side, so I re-tensioned the socket a bit. Does the '01 front signal light take a #3157 (dual filament) bulb like the rear brake/tail light?

Yes it does use the dual filament #3157.

Well it turned out to be the electrical connector for the Multifunction switch. I tilted the steering wheel all the way up and it started working. Took off the column covers, both clips were broke off and the connector wasn't making good contact. I super glued the clips back on, but don't expect it to hold for long so it looks like I'll have to replace the connector :(

Well it turned out to be the electrical connector for the Multifunction switch. I tilted the steering wheel all the way up and it started working. Took off the column covers, both clips were broke off and the connector wasn't making good contact. I super glued the clips back on, but don't expect it to hold for long so it looks like I'll have to replace the connector :(

Ding, ding, ding... and @swshawaii takes the price.

I super glued the clips back on, but don't expect it to hold for long so it looks like I'll have to replace the connector :(

I would try a few different things before the point of replacing the connector, like a bead of hot glue on two sides of the junction (after plugged in, so it can reasonably be pulled apart later if necessary), or... duct tape.

Thanks koda2000, but it's a very common problem especially when the column is moved often. BTW, what's the "price"? ;)

Happy New Year to all.

Thanks koda2000, but it's a very common problem especially when the column is moved often. BTW, what's the "price"? ;)

Happy New Year to all.

I assume you meant to say "prize"... IDK what would you like? Some GA peaches next season, or maybe some Vidallia onions?

Ding, ding, ding... and @swshawaii takes the price.
^ ;);)
I assume you meant to say "prize"... IDK what would you like? Some GA peaches next season, or maybe some Vidallia onions?
Phil, you make it sound like we're isolated from civilization in Hawaii. We can get almost anything here for a price.

That excludes MANY eBay sellers that refuse to ship to Alaska or Hawaii despite USPS flat rate pricing being the same. LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ ;);)

Geez Phil, you make it sound like we're isolated from civilization in Hawaii. Honestly, we can get almost anything here. (For a price) LOL

Oh, I guess I meant to say "prize"... lol

Back