Drivers Power Door Lock Switch Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers Power Door Lock Switch Problem

RickToro

Reaction score
City, State
Woodridge, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Although I've done several searches, I cannot find my problem. The drivers side power door lock switch will not lock any of the doors but it will unlock all the doors (including drivers door). The unlock portion of the switch works fine but the lock portion is inop. All doors work perfectly with the remote,rear switch and passenger side switch. I replaced the drivers door switch but it did not help. The linkage and actuator must be ok because everything works perfectly with the other switches and remote. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the same problem and found the solution elsewhere - let me see if i can remember where, though...HOWever, i did not fix my problem yet, but am confident that this fix would do it once i implement it.

After re-reading your post, i'm thinking that you've got a wiring issue between the three-way connection (as explained within the following thread) and the drivers door switch. My issue is that neither of the front door switches work, nor do the remotes/ext. keypad. Hmmmm, thinking more about it, if your remote works then you may have a different problem than i do. (Sorry for the circular thought process, just trying to compare your issue with mine, in relation to the "fix" i'm providing below)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129728

Good luck - there are SO many wires in these bundles, i haven't built up the guts to break into them try the fix.

Thanks for your reply...yes, everything works perfectly including remote and all other switches..the only thing that does not work is the lock function of the drivers door switch. I can't use the switch to lock all doors..I need to use the remote. Actuator and linkage is fine..it's just the switch.

Not the end of the world i think

From what you describe (youre having replaced the entire switch) it sounds like it could only be the harness connected to the switches. I have a 93 which is likely a bit different so I don't know what your harness looks like, but I'm certain that if you remove the switch and observe the harness (very carefully to not miss anything), you will notice that either one of the pins is recessed or disconnected altogether or that one of the metal contacts (your harness may not have them) isnt mating with another that it may be supposed to or lastly that there is some thing (i.e a spot of coffe, cleaning product residue or some other grime) preventing contact between the individual pin that mates with the metal contact responsible for locking the doors.

Good news is its not something big and probably wont cost you anything.

Back