Drivers side actuator with keyless entry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers side actuator with keyless entry

smutheop

Reaction score
City, State
Putnam CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Just bought a 95 XLT with keyless entry on the drivers side and the only lock actuator that will not work properly is the drivers side. It will unlock with the remote and keyless entry but to lock it I have to use the key. My mechanic says I need a new actuator and not just a two wire. Is there an aftermarket? available or can I use any actuator from any model of Ford with keyless entry? (Junkyard would be $10.00 but explorers are far and few between in junkyards around here) Or is there the possibility that the actuator is good and something mechanical may be wrong with the mechanisms? Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, Since I got no responses did a little research and found out for you junkyard hunters compatable vehicles. A new actuator from rockauto.com by standard motor products lists for 47.99 Ford OE is over $80. Junkyards if you can remove a rivet in the field is $10.00. Compatible vehicles if you cant find explorers in your junk yard as there are none in my area, are: Make Model Year
FORD --- CROWN VICTORIA 04-98
CROWN VICTORIA 04-98
EXPLORER 01-91
EXPLORER 01-91
EXPLORER SPORT 03-95,92-91
EXPLORER SPORT 03-95,92-91
EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 03-01
EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 03-01
MERCURY --- GRAND MARQUIS 04-98
GRAND MARQUIS 04-98
MOUNTAINEER 01-97
MOUNTAINEER 01-97

and can come from either the passenger or drivers side front door.

For good parts compatiblity of other models and years of explorers on all parts the Standard Motor parts website offers great information with parts compatiblity of other vehicles if you click on the BG buyers guide next to the part you need. This way you dont have to limit your junkyard hunts to just explorers... www.smpcorp.com

Smutheop

You sure its the actuator. There is a rivet on the drivers door which holds the actuator in place. I lost the rivet on mine and plan on installing a new one. It should work in your situation.

When you go to lock it, do you hear anything... Ie. is the motor actually trying to lock or is there nothing? If it tries but can't, then it is likely mechanical. If it doesn't even try, then may be its a circuit / connection problem although the same wire pair is used for both functions... there is just a flip of polarity so it would be hard to understand why one way works and the other not.

Actually... digging thru the schematic (on a 96).... the path is not the same for the driver's side IF you have the electronic group (sorry don't know what that means... new first time ex owner... but maybe the keypad and theft system????). Anyways, if you do, then there is potentially a problem with the driver's side door unlock relay which used to provide ground to the motor for the lock mode (PK/O).... so either the relay has a problem (doubt it) or the wire is not connecting properly... probable. Hope that helps.

Blee and Bud, thank you both for your suggestions. Will check the rivet. The actuator does make noise and it unlocks but won't lock. It makes a strained noise when it is trying to lock.. So I guess its time to learn how to take the door panel off.. and check the mechanical operation.. I just wish my mechanic wasnt so lazy or busy and at least looked at the inside as i suspected in the first place!!

Back