Driver's side rear vent glass BROKE!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's side rear vent glass BROKE!!

LindySport

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsboro IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Hi all, i can't than you enough for the help in my previous posts, but again, I need another piece of advice. our explorer sport got broken into, they shattered the driver's side vent glass to get in. Luckily nothing was stolen except for some CD's, but now we're down a window... and it's been SNOWING on and off this week. We have a new piece of glass ordered, and it's on it's way, but I was wondering if anyone had some do it yourself experience on instaling this piece of glass. I really need to find out how the piece of glass mounts to the hinge, since the latch is pretty straightforward. Will it use buttle tape? Epoxy? I don't know what the factory used to keep the glass in place. any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Happy holidays!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would imagine that the glass should have the hinge already on there. From what i remember it that the hinge is flat and kinda bends when open. A Chilton or Hayes book may have what your looking for.

The hinge should be attached to the new glass. There should be two studs that go through the window frame. The front edge of the seal is outside the bolts and bolt holes, so there should be no need for sealant.

To adjust the seal pressure, remove the two screws from the latch and spin it. Clockwise makes it tighter, CCW makes it looser. Be careful that it's not too tight the first time you close it so as not to break it. :)

-Joe

Oh, and you'll need to remove the quarter trim panel to access the bolts.... That process is quite a bit more involved...A-pillar trim, door scuff plate, then the seat belt bolts, cargo scuff plate, fold the rear seat flat, then remove the rear safety belt anchors, quarter window latch screws, coat hook, move the carpet to access the front trim screw and remove the rear ones (four at the rear, one at the front on the floor IIRC), and then the panel should come out. Don't forget the door lock switch if it's the driver's side panel.

Now, that being said, it *may* be possible to access the bolts by prying back the plastic, but I don't know... never tried it myself.

-Joe

Back