Driver's window auto-down feature | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's window auto-down feature

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I don't like this feature, but ever since my daughter managed to ball up the window regulator in her 2000 Mountaineer AWD (now my son-in-laws "new truck") and I replaced the regulator with a new one w/motor, the auto-down function behaves strangely. It will go down about 1/3-1/4 of the way and then stop. If you hit the button again, it will go down a bit further, but it will not go down all the way w/out hitting the button a 3rd time. If you hold the window button down, the window will go down all the way in one shot.

I'm thinking there must be a relay involved, but it guess it also might be the GEM. Anyone know? If it's a relay, does anyone know its location? Is it one of the ones over the gas pedal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Strange, the same thing happened to me, and I always assumed it was the switch being testy. In the 05 caravan there's a click for down, and then a further click for auto down, but the explorer's two stage switch is barely detectable, so sometimes I can't turn on the auto window when I want to and sometimes I turn it on when I don't want it!

It always ON on the Explorers. That's why I don't like it. The only way to stop it from going down all the way automatically is to hold the switch down for a bit before releasing it. Kinda of stupid. I have Vent Visors on all my trucks and I like to crack my windows open when I park. For the driver's window I end out having to put it down at least 1/2 way and then have to put it back up again to leave it cracked. Kind of a PITA.

Yeah I think GEM controlled, you may need to get it to re-learn the full travel position. Here's an example of the process for Ford, don't know if it applies to that model and year or if the process differs:

MERCURY/LINCOLN/FORD

(Note: Steps 1-6 must be completed within 30 seconds. The entire procedure must be completed within 5 minutes)

1. Start with the ignition key in the off position and the window open.
2. Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
3. Press the front window switch to the auto position six times (Auto up or Auto down).
4. Turn the ignition switch to off position and make sure the door is open.
5. Press the front window switch to the auto up position six times (Auto up or Auto down)
6. Turn the ignition key to the ON position and close the door. The window glass will move down-up-down-up, which indicates that the window motor is in reset mode.
7. Pull and hold the window switch to the UP position until the glass stalls into the upper header seal.
8. Momentarily press the window control switch to the DOWN position and release. The window will carry out a one-touch operation until the glass stalls at the bottom of travel.
9. Pull and hold the window switch to the UP position until the glass stalls into the upper header seal. Continue to hold the switch until it carries out and down-up movement. This movement (approximately 2-3mm) indicates that the motor has been successfully reset.
10. Repeat if necessary.

Yeah I think GEM controlled, you may need to get it to re-learn the full travel position. Here's an example of the process for Ford, don't know if it applies to that model and year or if the process differs:

MERCURY/LINCOLN/FORD

(Note: Steps 1-6 must be completed within 30 seconds. The entire procedure must be completed within 5 minutes)

1. Start with the ignition key in the off position and the window open.
2. Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
3. Press the front window switch to the auto position six times (Auto up or Auto down).
4. Turn the ignition switch to off position and make sure the door is open.
5. Press the front window switch to the auto up position six times (Auto up or Auto down)
6. Turn the ignition key to the ON position and close the door. The window glass will move down-up-down-up, which indicates that the window motor is in reset mode.
7. Pull and hold the window switch to the UP position until the glass stalls into the upper header seal.
8. Momentarily press the window control switch to the DOWN position and release. The window will carry out a one-touch operation until the glass stalls at the bottom of travel.
9. Pull and hold the window switch to the UP position until the glass stalls into the upper header seal. Continue to hold the switch until it carries out and down-up movement. This movement (approximately 2-3mm) indicates that the motor has been successfully reset.
10. Repeat if necessary.

Wow! That's a lot of steps. I'll give it a try. I have no AUTO-UP, just AUTO-DOWN. -Thanks.

That feature is in the GEM. The cause of it stopping part way down is too much resistance, it's supposed to stop when it senses too much resistance.

Clean the window and channel as carefully as you can, and spray the seal before washing the truck, along the glass side edges. That will help a lot, I was using WD40.

My 93 used to do that, it began in the Winter one year, and did it more and more as time went on. Cold weather made it happen more often. Mine turned out to be some rust growing inside the window channel along the front, half way down the door section. I found it while investigating, and later bought a new window channel.That fixed it permanently, or until a new resistance pops up. That window channel is the entire rubber seal which runs around the top of the door, the whole channel. It was not cheap back in 2005ish, hopefully they can still be had. I'd like to have another one, or 2-3 if not too much.

...it also might be the GEM. Anyone know? If it's a relay, does anyone know its location? Is it one of the ones over the gas pedal?

Yeah, the GEM talks to a One Touch Down (OTD) Relay. And, yes , it's in the Relay Module, located above the gas pedal. Here's a picture of the layout...

2009-11-14_204927_delay.gif

I really wonder how you're supposed to get in there. Pull the radio, maybe ??

I did not see JC's write-up in the service manual, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. And, that sure looks like it's worth a try.

^ That relay panel is (at least on my '98 Explorer) accessed under the dash, to the right of the gas pedal. It has a cover over it so it just looks like a black plastic box.

I doubt that pulling the radio would allow easier access but never tried that way, seems like the orientation alone would make it impossible to see the relays even if you could grab them going in that way, would still need your head under the dash on the driver's side.

From the service manual:

"Auto mode provides the OTD feature. The OTD feature is activated when the LH window regulator control switch, for the LH window, is pressed between 0.04 and 0.4 seconds, and then released.

Auto mode will be terminated when any of the follow conditions are met:

• The LH window regulator control switch is pushed to the up position or down position.
  • Seven seconds have elapsed since auto mode was initiated.
  • A window regulator electric drive stall condition is detected on the OTD sense line inputs.
Feature Inputs:
  • LH window regulator control switch inputs; refer to the LH Front Window Regulator Control Switch Inputs Table.
  • OTD sense lines, high and low (voltage difference corresponds to window current).
  • NOTE: Delayed accessory feature must be active.
  • Door open warning lamp switches (grounded when door is ajar, open circuit when door is closed).
Feature Output:
  • Down window relay coil output (grounded when activated, open circuit when deactivated).
One Touch Down Relay

The GEM controls manual down and OTD window movement with the OTD relay.

The relay is activated by applying ground directly to one side of the down window relay coil, and is deactivated by removing the ground signal."

It could be that those [current] sense lines are giving you trouble. Perhaps your new regulator motor draws more current [than the OE motor] and the GEM is misinterpreting this as a stall condition...

Readjust the short window channel along the door latch side. One bolt holds the bottom end of that channel in place, it's the single gold colored 11mm bolt head on the door below and near the latch. That allows the channel there to move closer or looser against the glass. If loosening that channel doesn't fix it, then the fixed channel along the sides is too tight or binding against the glass as it comes down.

That feature is in the GEM. The cause of it stopping part way down is too much resistance, it's supposed to stop when it senses too much resistance.

Clean the window and channel as carefully as you can, and spray the seal before washing the truck, along the glass side edges. That will help a lot, I was using WD40.

My 93 used to do that, it began in the Winter one year, and did it more and more as time went on. Cold weather made it happen more often. Mine turned out to be some rust growing inside the window channel along the front, half way down the door section. I found it while investigating, and later bought a new window channel.That fixed it permanently, or until a new resistance pops up. That window channel is the entire rubber seal which runs around the top of the door, the whole channel. It was not cheap back in 2005ish, hopefully they can still be had. I'd like to have another one, or 2-3 if not too much.

I don't believe too much resistance is the issue. There are no problems with the channel and I lubricate them with foaming silicon spray at least once a year (works much better and longer than WD40). Just to check I'll try lowering the window while helping it down with my hand. If it still stops part way down I'll try the reset procedure. If that doesn't help either - screw it. I just find it annoying when things don't work correctly (my OCD thing).

...I end out having to put it down at least 1/2 way and then have to put it back up again to leave it cracked.

^+1 !! Really like leaving mine cracked, also.

Hmmm... After reading the above I think I'll go try a quick double-tap: one to start Auto down and one to stop it before it gets too far...

Nope. :crazy:

BUT, a Down-Up-Up triple-tap works. Almost... Maybe with some practice.

I wish you well, I've read about the problem several times over the years. It's never been a wiring issue for those. I'm glad to see the procedures to reset the system if there is a need for it. Thanks for that Spuddy.

Most people will need to concentrate on the mechanical fitment of the window glass. This thread will be the most recent for others, so they will have good ideas to help their issue. Regards,

My auto feature has never worked since i bought the truck.I know the previous owner replaced the power assembly because the window track is sloppy.Probly a cheap regulator from ebay.

Okay. I tried helping the window with my hand in AUTO-DOWN mode. It made no difference. It actually stops 5 times while trying to go down all the way in AUTO mode. I also re-lubricated the channels, it made no difference. As long as I hold the window button down it works fine.

Next I tried the "reset" procedure. Printed it out and took it with me. Tried it at least 6 times. Made no difference whatsoever. The glass never went up by itself as indicated in step #6.

FYI: It was not a hi-priced regulator. My daughter bought it on Amazon for around $40-$45 as I recall. That was all she wanted to spend.

So, I'm officially stumped. I supposed I could try replacing the window motor with the one from the OE regulator (which worked fine), but I don't feel like going through that much trouble to "maybe" fix the AUTO-DOWN function. If I can find/identify the AUTO-Down relay, I will try swapping it out to see if that makes any difference. I can believe the resistance theory, but as pushing the glass down with my hand made no difference, I don't think that's my issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.

You've done the right thing in testing your window function. I agree that it needs something else. I too would swap the relay mentioned first, that's an easy step since there are only two relay versions in the whole truck. The picture makes it the smaller one, swap one from under the hood so you don't have to go back under the dash there again.

I'd also hunt a spare GEM module, that sounds like the real cause, the electronics at this age begin to have issues. Just like the EATC, compass, message center, and even radios, age takes a toll on capacitors etc. They can be repaired, but knowledgeable electricians familiar with them are the magic.

There are only two GEM's possible for any given 2nd gen Explorer, one with or without real 4WD. The version without 4WD is used in all 2WD and AWD Explorers, for the given year. I think the models run 95-97, and 98-01, so four GEM's might cover all 2nd gen Explorers. Those are solid reliable parts. I only have one spare, a 4WD model intended for my A4WD conversion. It sounds like a good time to collect a few of those as spares.

The GEM is to the left of the radio, pull the radio out and you can see it inside to the left. Removing the electrical connectors might be the hardest part to getting it out.

Just throwing this out there.I had a 98 grand prix That had the auto down feature and when i got the car it never worked till the day i put a new master switch in.I found out that the auto double click feature in the switch was broken but the window still went up and down.The new switch brought the feature back.Just something to think about.The switch may be the culprit.It was in my grand prix.It was a light press for regular function and a full press down till it clicked and the auto feature took over.

@CDW6212R Well the window AUTO-DOWN is not a high priority. This weekend I'll be replacing the front suspension on this AWD truck and tomorrow I'll be trying to get an appt for a wheel alignment for Monday. If I get the time, I'll try swapping the relay and see what happens. Thanks again.

Come do my suspension of my 99. Good luck with yours. I'm swapping parts between my three based on need and quality of parts etc. I'm putting the Sport Trac front spindles on my Mercury(my spare truck), the others will get bigger custom brakes. I've got new hubs and control arms for my 99, and one right UCA of my Mercury has a torn boot. I'll need alignments on each again no doubt. Mix and match, swap calipers, oh boy. Have fun,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just throwing this out there.I had a 98 grand prix That had the auto down feature and when i got the car it never worked till the day i put a new master switch in.I found out that the auto double click feature in the switch was broken but the window still went up and down.The new switch brought the feature back.Just something to think about.The switch may be the culprit.It was in my grand prix.It was a light press for regular function and a full press down till it clicked and the auto feature took over.
These trucks don't have unique switches for the auto down, I recall that on some other makes too. The switch button itself is special only in the word "AUTO" printed on it. Those will come off, snap off and press on, gently. I put those on the RF door of my 99, and a module to do that RF window too. It takes the special module and four wires I recall.

Projectthread069.JPG

Back