Driveshaft dillema - double cardan joint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driveshaft dillema - double cardan joint

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
I'm starting a driveshaft overhaul. When was double cardan joint introduced in the Explorer?

I want to rebuild it but now can't find parts... everyone says that I should not have double cardan on my 94... what gives?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm starting a driveshaft overhaul. When was double cardan joint introduced in the Explorer?

I want to rebuild it but now can't find parts... everyone says that I should not have double cardan on my 94... what gives?

You definitely have a double cardan Joint (2 U-joints at one end for greater range of movement) in the front drive shaft.. here is a picture of the double cardan U-joint in my ('93)
MY_PI054.jpg

I know I do but for some strange reason when I order parts them guys keep telling me that double cardan was only available on 1991-1992 Explorers...

well, did anyone overhaul this? does spicer have a kit available?

nice job with the write-up. Someone should stick it up here for all the rest. So all front driveshaft U-joints are the same???

I might want to use spicer 1310's then...

I'm working on the entire front end - Skyjacker lift, gears, locker, ball joints, brakes, u-joints - the whole 9 yards...

I know I do but for some strange reason when I order parts them guys keep telling me that double cardan was only available on 1991-1992 Explorers...
Kick that guy in the shins and run away with the U-joints :thumbsup: :p:

I've got some time, I can order on-line. Would rather go with the Spicer stuff... although NAPA sells Precision u-joints - believe it or not it was NAPA guy that didn't want to listen to me...

and could not find right u-joints in his smart computer :rolleyes:

nice job with the write-up. Someone should stick it up here for all the rest. So all front driveshaft U-joints are the same???

I might want to use spicer 1310's then...

I'm working on the entire front end - Skyjacker lift, gears, locker, ball joints, brakes, u-joints - the whole 9 yards...

Yes.. The front and rear drive shafts use the same U-joints, while the front axle shafts use the "C" clip 1-0297s..

U-Joints (Brute Force)
Wheel Joints and axle slip joint (3) 1-0297BF
Front Shaft (3) 1-0153BF
Rear Shaft (2) 1-0153BF

Sounds like you have quite the little project going on.. IMO its better to just do everything at once instead of having to revisit other areas a few months down the road..

I've got the parts too if you need them..

well, I'm looking to order Spicer u-joints and looking for a new locker... the one I've got is for the later IFS diff...

Just PM me w/ a tag # or somthing for the front diff.

I've got some time, I can order on-line. Would rather go with the Spicer stuff... believe it or not it was NAPA guy that didn't want to listen to me...

and could not find right u-joints in his smart computer :rolleyes:

Tell that parts store putz to grab the DANA catalog they have sitting behind the counter. Blow the dust off it and open it to the apropriate year, make, and model. I can almost guarantee the catalog has the numbers you need in there.

I don't trust the computers at the chains for nuthin'. They're notoriously inaccurate. Garbage in = garbage out.

-Joe

I did find part numbers myself... not the first time I have to do the homework before going shopping. They don't care anymore...

Back