Driveshaft vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driveshaft vibration

Larry Cyr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
I have been reading some of the postings and think i have a little of my problem solved.

Let me start from the beginning. I have a 2000 xlt, 4x4. it has just hit 100k miles. i noticed last week a vibration. Of course having had a Ranger that hit 308k miles i had been through this. While the truck is running, the vibration is ocurring, until you let of the gas. While it is coasting, it is fine. apply the gas, and there goes the vibration. So i think ok, it is the u-joint. Well, i crawl under there and check it out. the two u-joints on the rear drive shaft look good. The one u-joint on the front drive shaft looks good too. Unfortunately the other end is a cv joint-my first experience with it. Since it is encased, i have no idea what shape it is in and still think that is the problem. I also noticed that the axel(front) is leaking fluid and believe that is a pinion seal.
Would the leaky pinion cause any of the vibration? Also, would anything else cause this vibration other than a faulty cv?

What I am doing is trying to get a second opinon from myself. I just really don't want to pay $250 for a new front drive shaft if i don't have to.

Anyone have a solution to my issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Take out the front driveshaft, and see if you still get this vibration. The driveshaft could be bent. I had this on my 88 untill the kinked driveshaft ruined the U joint, and the driveshaft fell out.

cv joint

I think i can get the drive shaft out, esecially with the ujoint since i have done that before. I am a little unsure about the cv joint. What does it look like and how does it come apart on that end? does it just slide out or what? any pics showing what that cv looks like would be great.

Did you ever find out what was causing the vibrations? because my 2000 xls is having the same problem. today I even noticed a squeaking noise from my rear end, i think it is mt drive shaft but im not sure. but the vibration has been there for about a month now. i hope thats all it is.

No i have not finished the project yet. I am almost sure it is the cv joint at the rear of the front drive shaft as the three u-joints are still in great shape. I guess i will be able to tell more when i get the front drive shaft pulled out and can look at the cv. This probably will not happen until this Saturday.

Today i replaced the u-joints and it was the problem for me. the bearings inside were shot. no more vibration or noise.

I've got the replacement shaft for sale in the vendor section if you are in need..

Back