driving light question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

driving light question.

I was thinking, just thinking now keep in mind.
i was thinking about buying some cheap little driving lights from meijers which have h3 bulbs, and buying replacement bulbs, some where in the area of 1000-130 watt h3 xeon bulbs and putting them in the driving lights... I am farily electrically inclined, so i'm not going to use the "suggested wiring method" and i know i'll need to use some thicker wire for power to the lights.....other than that does this sound like it would work???? Let me know what you guys think. comments and suggestions welcome!!

thanks for your imput ahead of time!!

ryan

some of those "cheap little lights" are plastic,and a 130 watt bulb may melt the lens, body or reflector if you run it when parked, or driving slowly, like rockcrawling... a melted light could be a fire hazzard.

better lamps will also have better lenses, reflectors and other components. "better" in this case means the quality, shape and focus of the beam, durability of all components, etc.

the junky, cheap lamps always seem to be the ones that are beat up, cracked and misaligned... but that is probably a combination of the lights themselves and the drivers who run them.

if you want an inexpensive lamp that you can probably safely upgrade the bulb in, look at the Pilot lights. AutoZone has them starting at about $30. some of these lights look decent enough for what you propose, at anyrate they are much, much nicer than most of the department store cheapies.

i think i'd only run a 130W in a 6" or larger housing, and preferably in a metal housing.

the lights with plastic housings and 100W+ bulbs seem to be 8" or 9"

OVER 130W per lamp is probably not a good idea, but it all depends on how much heat everything can handle.

www.pilotautomotive.com

Don't waste your money on cheap lights! I bought some Hella Micro FF Driving Lights and the performance is terrific. They have effectivly tripled the range of my highbeams. In lighting, like so many other things in life, you get what you pay for!

Back