DRL Activation Possible Resolution (US Owners)..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jsgoofn

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Beautiful Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Explorer doesn't use relays for controlling the signals, it is all electronic and controlled by the Body Control Module. There is one way to do this without a resistor but you will need an ELM327 and Forscan (plus the extended license on their forum-free)

See this link to get started, the F-150 shares most BCM settings including lighting with the Explorer https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

My spreadsheet for 2016MY(most should be the same for 15MY) https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0AtiYU-yJ4Nrfyfuzp-Mi0l8A#AsBuiltData_2016_Explorer

PlatinumOwner has gone to the trouble of figuring out the codes in the BCM in order to enable DRLs and to also allow the LED turn signals to work without resistors. It disables the bulb outage warning and is supposed to stop the hyperflashing. Look at the second link where he lays it out in a spreadsheet with the codes and what they do. He researched them for the F150 but the codes are similar to the Explorer. Here is the link to find the specific codes for your VIN:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/H...ttps://www.motorcraftservice.com:1402/AsBuilt

If the links don't work directly from this post, just copy/paste into your browser.

Anyway, thought I would share. I have not invested in the adapter yet ($30) but it can be used for diagnostics for most systems in the vehicle. I will post as I try these out. Or you can contact the original poster. He said he has been doing this for a while.:):usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is an older post...check this out too. The info I was given is newer....

Mod: Don't know if you want to leave this in basic forum or move to MOD section. Kinda gray area since its essentially changing OEM settings.

Don't usually do disclaimers but I feel this one needs it.

DISCLAIMER: The content listed is for modifying existing code in your control units. You do so at your own risk. This is especially true for editing raw code, since you don't know the outcome.

Some of you guys use Forscan and for those who don't know it is a piece of software that essentially is the reverse engineering of IDS. IDS being the software the dealer uses to scan, troubleshoot, and program Fords. Forscan can be used on an iPhone, Android, or PC using a OBDII adapter.

For the most part Forscan has been able to read and "control" all control units on our vehicles. Few months ago PATS programming was added to program keys (sorry this gen Explorer is not on the compatible list....yet). By control I mean simulate inputs/outputs like turn on left headlight, turn on dash indicators, set fan speed, etc all of which are used to help diagnose issues.

Well as of Feb 20th with the update of 2.3.0 beta (for PC), Forscan can now code/program control units.

Coding is when an OEM has several variations of vehicles but wants to use the same hardware to control them, mostly due to a big cost savings. When the OEM builds a car they "code" these control units according to what the vehicle has listed in its BOM (bill of materials). So say Ford builds a Police Interceptor they add the coding to enable the "dark car" feature. This coding is really just changing variables in the code to turn on or off features. It's not really a software change because the software is the same on all cars buts its just changing variables. Think of tire size. OEMs sometimes use a bunch of different tire sizes and that changes the speedometer output. So they let the control unit know what size the tires are to make the speedometer correct.

Forscan shows this new feature as a button on the left that looks like a microchip and it is called "programming and configuration." When you click on that it lists all the modules that currently can be programmed and lists them as just the module or the module name and (AS BUILT FORMAT). The AS BUILT FORMAT is just lists addresses and the variables that are there that can be written. To me this means they (Forscan team) don't know what this area of memory does yet. The item that just says the module name DOES show the "dumb" names of the variables. Stuff that you and I can easily know what is being changed.

Below is a screenshot of what you can do to the BODY CONTROL UNIT. You can enable dark car, drls, change tire pressure (changes TPMS threshold), change tire size, etc.

Right now nothing here needs to be changed for my needs, just looking around. Can't wait till more modules are figured out.

I think this tool could be used for retrofitting something possibly like the power liftgate feature. You can buy and install all the parts but you still have to program the BCM for this feature. Either it is a simple enable button change or you scan your buddies car that has this feature and copy all the coding and reprogram your module to match.

forscan.png

Some helpful links:

How to get extended license:
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836

How to use configuration and programming:
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1932

How to view MS-CAN modules on ELM327 device.
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

A lot of those codes have already been mapped by the Forscan team (some by them, some by feedback given to them) so they show up as a simple enable/disable section instead of having to type in the hex code. Couldn't tell you about a 2016 and up, but they mapped the ones for the 2011-2015 in the "plain language" section of the BCM unit.

I clicked on the link supplied and it just took me to what looks like the home page for FordServiceInfo.com

I clicked on the link supplied and it just took me to what looks like the home page for FordServiceInfo.com
Open the quoted section and there are two links in addition to the one I had.

What would be the cheapest ELM327/OBD2 adapter that can fully Forscan operational on Amazon or Ebay for 2013 Explorer Limited?
I'll probably use it a couple of times, then RIP in the garage.

What would be the cheapest ELM327/OBD2 adapter that can fully Forscan operational on Amazon or Ebay for 2013 Explorer Limited?
I'll probably use it a couple of times, then RIP in the garage.

BAFX Bluetooth is about $22. Only gets you connection to HS-CAN modules. You can add a DPDT switch (like $3) and access MS-CAN

OK - I was messing with the OBD2 thing and from the Configuration screen in FORSCan, you highlight BCM Module Configuration and click "edit selected" button on the bottom left. It will give you a choice of what to use as your DRL - Low Beam, Fog Lights or Turn Lamps. Select the one you want, click "write" and it will update. Save the configuration and you should be good to go. This only applies to Exp's that have Halogen and Fogs and not HID.

BCM Module Config.PNG

DRL Choice.PNG

Back