DRL??? Can they be turned off?

613GT500

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
Thanks. Do you happen to also have instructions to disable daytime running lights on 2016 models?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, but thefranchise713 might be able to answer that if you PM him, also that is only confirmed for 2014, a lot changed in 2016 so please be careful.

^ I don't have that information, unfortunately. I saw the FORScan Team released a new version today and haven't tested it, that being said, the DRL functionality on 2017 at least is broken in the most recent beta version they asked me to test. It may work for 2016 and probably works for 2011-15.

2017 configurations actually differ a bit from MY 2016, believe it or not.

So I'm not crazy? Because there's an option to disable DRL on my 2017 XLT yet they stay on whether or not the box is clicked. Thought I was losing my mind.

^ I don't have that information, unfortunately. I saw the FORScan Team released a new version today and haven't tested it, that being said, the DRL functionality on 2017 at least is broken in the most recent beta version they asked me to test. It may work for 2016 and probably works for 2011-15.

2017 configurations actually differ a bit from MY 2016, believe it or not.
Appreciate the insight and sharing it with us. I should have clarified, that I'm in Canada and the setting to disable low beam (daytime running lights) is not available, but is present in vehicles in the US; as permitted by each state. Fair to assume the asb file can be loaded into my EX, via FORscan?

The box in the IPC should work fine, but it will only kill the low-beam DRL. It will not kill the LED signature lighting "strips" that line the lamp assembly--those are stuck on whenever the vehicle is running.

Appreciate the insight and sharing it with us. I should have clarified, that I'm in Canada and the setting to disable low beam (daytime running lights) is not available, but is present in vehicles in the US; as permitted by each state. Fair to assume the asb file can be loaded into my EX, via FORscan?

You would need to modify two modules to make this work like a US model, not just one. (The BCM and IPC work together to "toggle" the DRL, and in addition, the DRL works differently on US and Canadian models even beyond the ability to lock it on/off.) That being said, if you PM jmr061, he may be able to help you disable the low beam DRL without the toggle, and would only need to change one module instead of two.

The box in the IPC should work fine, but it will only kill the low-beam DRL. It will not kill the LED signature lighting "strips" that line the lamp assembly--those are stuck on whenever the vehicle is running.
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Seems a bit pointless then, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hi Everyone!

Just purchased a 13' Explorer XLT about a week ago. Purchased it used and from the carfax report it stated it came from B.C. and instantly noticed it had DRLs....

I did research research this past week on info on how to disable them and read that it was possible. Took it into service today to request for them to do it, initially they said it can be done, but just recieved a message from service telling me that the lights that come on automatically are not my DRLs but my actual headlight unit that comes on and that they cannot do anything to disable them???

Am I mistaken here or do they really not know what they are doing after I explained to them the procedure from the info I found here?

I would really like those disable so that I can install a HID kit in the near future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... THANKS EVERYONE!

Have you checked out the following thread on activating/installing them?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?posts/3350674/
The dealer uses an IDS tool (laptop) to turn them on. I read a few posts in that thread that mentioned only the amber lights can be programmed for DRL. Perhaps there are other posts that may go into more detail re the options.

Peter

Have you checked out the following thread on activating/installing them?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?posts/3350674/
The dealer uses an IDS tool (laptop) to turn them on. I read a few posts in that thread that mentioned only the amber lights can be programmed for DRL. Perhaps there are other posts that may go into more detail re the options.

Peter
Thanks for the reply peterk9!

Per the service rep. "We can turn off your drls but it's not your drls that are on it's your main headlight that turns on automatically and that we can not swithch off."

What I'm confused about is that if my headlights are on constantly then aren't those my "drls"? I'm wanting to disable them and not be on at all.

Thanks for the reply peterk9!

Per the service rep. "We can turn off your drls but it's not your drls that are on it's your main headlight that turns on automatically and that we can not swithch off."

What I'm confused about is that if my headlights are on constantly then aren't those my "drls"? I'm wanting to disable them and not be on at all.
Is there any chance that the Explorer was originally from Canada. Here the XLT would have had the DRL on the headlights. They would be at a reduced power until the actual headlight comes on. Do you have the Window Sticker for it? You can also check the VIN on Fordetis.com and it will list everything on your Explorer.
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=7AAEA78E9784B826DBC634162085EE79.fcvas501
Perhaps it will show DRL enabled or something similar. In the top part of the list it should show "Territory". Mine shows CDN. In the list it says; With Daytime Running Lamps

Peter

DRLs can be three bulbs. Amber turn signals (made for HID equipped vehicles), Headlights at a 50% pulsed signal (for halogen), and even FOG lamps.

Sorry for the sniffles but check this video I made out:

Thanks for jumping in. It has been a while since the subject came up and I couldn't recall the options. Still is a bit confusing why the tech couldn't find how to turn the headlight DRL off. That's why I asked if perhaps it was manufactured for Canada.

Peter

Bottom line is your dealer is likely clueless. They have no clue what they are talking about. If your headlight system was coming on the parking lights would be on too which I am sure they are not.

Is there any chance that the Explorer was originally from Canada. Here the XLT would have had the DRL on the headlights. They would be at a reduced power until the actual headlight comes on. Do you have the Window Sticker for it? You can also check the VIN on Fordetis.com and it will list everything on your Explorer.
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=7AAEA78E9784B826DBC634162085EE79.fcvas501
Perhaps it will show DRL enabled or something similar. In the top part of the list it should show "Territory". Mine shows CDN. In the list it says; With Daytime Running Lamps

Peter
I will look tomorrow and give an update on what I find

DRLs can be three bulbs. Amber turn signals (made for HID equipped vehicles), Headlights at a 50% pulsed signal (for halogen), and even FOG lamps.

Sorry for the sniffles but check this video I made out:

Thanks for the awesome How To vid. sheltonfilms! You make it look easy, so I don't know why the dealer would tell me what they did?:banghead:

they probably don't know whats going on. Mine is a Cnd model that had DRLs enabled from factory, they were disabled and HIDs installed with no problems, you can have the ambers on the front used as DRLs or have them completely disabled

they probably don't know whats going on. Mine is a Cnd model that had DRLs enabled from factory, they were disabled and HIDs installed with no problems, you can have the ambers on the front used as DRLs or have them completely disabled
I think your right about them not knowing what's going on. The look on the Service Rep's face when I knew the terminology and knowledge of disabling the DRLs. I think I might call around to other dealerships this weekend and see what their opinions are on this topic?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most, not all, service reps know nothing about cars. Just what they can kind of make out on the repair order, then they take their creative license and try and explain to you in non technical jargon what the mechanic has done. You can also try an independent shop. Ford uses the IDS, if they can program you a key they probably have the ability to program the vehicles modules.... rough idea in the link what it is

https://dealerscantool.com/FORD.html

Back