DRL not working, flash to pass not working ... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DRL not working, flash to pass not working ...

Mark_ZZ3

Reaction score
City, State
Western Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4X4
STrangest thing happened. I was in a parking lot with the truck running and parked. I pull the level to flash the highbeams. My DRL went out, but no high beams. The DRL never came back.

Now I don't have DRL or flash to pass.

A quick check of the fuzes I found the "flash to pass" and "cigarette" lighter resetable 20amp fuze was HOT!!!. Hence the reason it did not allow power to the lights or the lighter.

It would seem that when I used the flash to pass, it shorted something on and it is still on.

Any ideas where this is? I unplugged the DRL module and I still got 12 volts accross the 20AMP fuze. This should be zero unless your using something.

I still have high beams, and low beams.

Does the flash to pass use a separate relay? Perhaps that broken and went to ground?

Ideas? I don't want to spend $100 on a DRL module if I don't need to.

Mark.

could be the 'multifunction' switch, the turn signal stalk.

I have thought about that ... and I plan on taking the column apart to see what's up. Worst case ... just disconnect the flash to pass option.

I find it VERY odd that whatever it is, is causing a dead short through the 20 AMP fuze. I know you can hold the pass to flash on for a period of time and it won't draw enough current to blow that breaker.

The column switch should only flip a relay ... or so I think. A wiring diagram wound be nice.

Oh yes ... this is a 91 Explorer 4x4 XTL.

Mark.

Back