Drop-down brackets for 2wd w/rough country coils | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drop-down brackets for 2wd w/rough country coils

Brandon1993Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus Christi, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I have a '93 2wd explorer with the 1.5" rough country leveling coil springs and 31x10.50's. The coils make my truck un-allignable and now I'm also hearing a lot of creaking from my front end which I am guessing is from the bushings being put under so much stress. My question is does anyone know of any drop-down brackets for the i-beams and radius arms that would drop them down an inch and a half so that I could allign my truck? Or does anyone know of someone that could fabricate them and ship them to me? The noise is driving my nuts and my tires are getting ruined so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long have you had your springs in?

I put Black Diamond 1.5" levelling springs in my 93 two months ago. The alignment shop said the passenger side wheel was .1 degree outside of tolerance, and about 1 degree outside of ideal, but that would probably go away after the springs settled, after which I may need another alignment. I haven't heard any major squeaks or groans since putting them in.

Barry, is your explorer a 2wd? I think the 2wd's handle the springs differently because of the difference in the suspension. 2wd has i-beams, 4wd is different I think, I'm not too familiar with it. How long did they say it will be before your springs settle? I do a lot of driving to college and to work so my tires will get worn down fast but if it's not too long before they settle I can handle it. I'm going to take it to the shop to get them to look at my bushings because now I can feel something down there rubbing, not just hear it.

You are correct, mine is a 4WD.

The shop told me I might want to have the alignment checked again in a month. Initially they said to hold off a month before doing it, but I was going on a 4000 km journey to Moab and back the following week.

And even before *that* they weren't going to do it because my ball joints were so loose it wouldn't have made any difference. So while they were doing the balljoints, they found a couple of the front u-joints siezed - which explained a mysterious clunk-thump I had been intermittently hearing.

So basically almost every moving part in my front end, short of the wheel bearings, was replaced. All is working fine and dandy now. 31 MT's go on this weekend :))

i have 4" drop down brackets

if you're going to use drop down brackets why would you want to only go 1"? They only drop down brackets made for a 2wd are either fabtech(which i have) or skyjacker. Skyjacker has either a 4 or 6 inch lift. Fabtech's is only a 4. For these your looking at some money at least for fabtech. If you use the drop down bracket your going to need different springs, coils, brake lines, and drop pitman arm. It all adds up. Personally i like how Fabtechs brackets are made. The construction of them is stronger than the skyjacker. It all depends if you want looks or actual dependable offroad use. Like they say..you get what you pay for. Just save your money and put a nice lift on it. :) It took me awhile, but well worth it in the long run.

I have the same issue with my Ex and the RC springs...I have 3.5 degree camber shims, maxed out and its still positive. My idea was adding a 2 or 300 pound bumper on the front to level em out..maybe thats what they were designed for

Back