• Register Today It's free!

Dropping an 01 Explorer Sport.

20sportman01

Reaction score
City, State
dustingunther99@hotmail.com
Year, Model & Trim Level
dustingunther99@hotmail.c
im curious to know if theres a way to drop a 01 explorer sport that is 4wd....if so about 3-4 inches.. or is it the same as gm... i was going to tackle this conquest with my 96 blazer but realized it is near impossible to get the results i want with 4wd...??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sportman, its definitly harder (This is from what ive read, ive been researching alot about lowering mine lately too) to lower it with it being 4x4, but you can still get an easy 2-2.5" with a TT and blocks in the back. There are members who have the 4x4 and the X dropped to the ground, but im not too sure how they go about doing that. My guess is some serious custom fab work. There always is the route of converting to 2WD if your that dedicated to lowering it.

*TT: Torsion Twist (Search and youll find write ups)

You can do the same setup as any 2wd on a 4wd. The only diff is your run the risk of killing your front axle shafts. I have my X dropped about 3.5" front/rear and have had a successful 15,x.. miles out of it since.
**these results are/may not be typical for other applications**

Front - Flipped and adjusted torsion keys
Rear - 3" blocks from Pep Boys

Total cost(less shocks) $30 bucks and about 2-3 hours in my garage with air tools.

If you google explorer torsion key flip, or torsion key flip you'll find some nice write-ups. *tip on flipping the keys* drop the upper ball joint out of the spindle, then let the rim rest on the lugs. This aleviates almost all pressure on the torsion bar itself and make popping the key off 8,000 times easier. I read that on a write up and it was spot on!!

Hope this helps :)

Sportman, its definitly harder (This is from what ive read, ive been researching alot about lowering mine lately too) to lower it with it being 4x4, but you can still get an easy 2-2.5" with a TT and blocks in the back. There are members who have the 4x4 and the X dropped to the ground, but im not too sure how they go about doing that. My guess is some serious custom fab work. There always is the route of converting to 2WD if your that dedicated to lowering it.

*TT: Torsion Twist (Search and youll find write ups)

Back