Dropping fuel pressure test

soujern

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Hello,

I've been lurking on the board for a couple weeks now.

'91X - 135,000miles - Auto

My X has the famous won't start on first try but starts right up on the second after it primes a again.

I put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve today and turned the key to run (not started). The pressure climbed to 40 but rapidly went back down to zero.

I then started and the gauge showed a steady 30.

From what I read using the search feature this is not the regulator but the check valve inside the fuel pump.

I don't believe you can just change the check valve but have to drop the tank and replace the whole fuel pump.

Also theres a buzzing coming from the fuel tank....kinda like when you open the door and the key is in the ignition.

So is it time to replace the fuel pump???

Or should I look somewhere else for the soulution?

Please let me know if I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks alot!

Sounds like you have a good idea as to what's going on. But if the fuel pump actually works within specs and you don't have any drivability problems with the truck, why not just leave it?
But yes, to answer your questions it sounds like the check valve unfortunately.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure it's the fuel pump.
I'll be driving long distances and didn't want to take a chance getting stranded anywhere.

I've also read this can be caused be a leaking fuel injector, but don't think it is. When it doesn't start the first time I can hear the gas gurgling back into the gas tank. When it does start it's smooth.

Also the buzzing that the pump is making when the X is running is kind if annoying.

Thanks again.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Back