Drove my new Platinum off the dealer lot with non-functional signal light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drove my new Platinum off the dealer lot with non-functional signal light

jdc28va

Reaction score
City, State
Vienna, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Platinum (Blue)
Callsign
KK4AIB
I bought a new Platinum yesterday, and during the test drive, I noticed the directional indicator was blinking / clicking more quickly during right turns than during left turns. I thought, "hmm... that normally indicates a bulb is out, but everything is LED on these cars, and surely something else on the dash would be indicating a bad directional light." Still, I made a mental note to check the directionals when we got back to the dealer lot.

Well, we got back, and I totally forgot to check the directionals before closing the deal. While driving home, I noticed the rapid indicator again. I checked the directionals when I got home, and sure enough, the front passenger directional is totally out. I'm kicking myself for forgetting to check it at the dealership. Thankfully, it's the front passenger directional, which in my opinion is the least-critical, but I still want to get it taken care of ASAP. Sucks to have an issue already with the new truck.

Anyway, before taking it back to the dealer, I'd like to check to see if it's a simple connector that is loose. Anyone know off hand where the connector is for the front directionals? I took a quick look in the dark last night, but it's not as obvious as it used to be with all the new LED lights and everything integrated in the housing (headlamps, running lamps, directionals)...

Other than this issue, wife and I really like the new Ex so far. We traded in our 2013 for it, and got a great deal with the specials going on. I did notice an imperfection in the paint (nickel-sized "blob" of paint [looks like bubble but feels solid] on the roof just above the windshield) which is annoying and disappointing; not sure what I'm going to do about that just yet. I'm sure it's covered under warranty but I'm not sure if the fix will be worse than living with the blob.

JDC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a new Platinum yesterday, and during the test drive, I noticed the directional indicator was blinking / clicking more quickly during right turns than during left turns. I thought, "hmm... that normally indicates a bulb is out, but everything is LED on these cars, and surely something else on the dash would be indicating a bad directional light." Still, I made a mental note to check the directionals when we got back to the dealer lot.

Well, we got back, and I totally forgot to check the directionals before closing the deal. While driving home, I noticed the rapid indicator again. I checked the directionals when I got home, and sure enough, the front passenger directional is totally out. I'm kicking myself for forgetting to check it at the dealership. Thankfully, it's the front passenger directional, which in my opinion is the least-critical, but I still want to get it taken care of ASAP. Sucks to have an issue already with the new truck.

Anyway, before taking it back to the dealer, I'd like to check to see if it's a simple connector that is loose. Anyone know off hand where the connector is for the front directionals? I took a quick look in the dark last night, but it's not as obvious as it used to be with all the new LED lights and everything integrated in the housing (headlamps, running lamps, directionals)...

Other than this issue, wife and I really like the new Ex so far. We traded in our 2013 for it, and got a great deal with the specials going on. I did notice an imperfection in the paint (nickel-sized "blob" of paint [looks like bubble but feels solid] on the roof just above the windshield) which is annoying and disappointing; not sure what I'm going to do about that just yet. I'm sure it's covered under warranty but I'm not sure if the fix will be worse than living with the blob.

JDC

You have 7 days to bring it back to dealership and they will fix all those issues.

Well, I found the connector... It's one connector for the whole headlamp assembly. Disconnecting and reconnecting the connector didn't solve my problem, so back to the dealer she goes.

Congrats on the new Platinum. As Forddealz mentioned and as per your Warranty Guide you have 7 days to report this to the dealer.
"If you see any damage when you receive your vehicle, notify your dealership within one week."

Peter

I actually had the same two defects at delivery on my 2019. One of the parking lights was out and I found a paint bubble on my left front fender. I had the dealership document it just in case it ever becomes a bigger issue since they’d just have to repaint the whole fender. The headlight was a fiasco since they didn’t have a new assembly to test they ordered a new one then discovered it was a relay and the assembly was fine. Wasted trip but all good now.

Signal light not working, parking light out, paint issues. So much for dealer pre-delivery prep and inspections.:rolleyes:

Peter

Signal light not working, parking light out, paint issues. So much for pre-delivery prep and inspections.:rolleyes:

Peter
In all honesty I didn’t sign on my Explorer until after 9 pm and hadn’t had dinner so just wanted to get home, or I certainly would have caught the headlight.

In all honesty I didn’t sign on my Explorer until after 9 pm and hadn’t had dinner so just wanted to get home, or I certainly would have caught the headlight.
I meant to say Dealer prep and inspection. Post updated. Happy New Year Michael.

Peter

Back