Dry Ice Dent Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dry Ice Dent Removal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Beware of paint damage, either at the time, or later.

Consider Paintless Dent Removal? I have used a PDR place twice on my Paseo, with GREAT results.

I've seen a similar method using a compressed air caninster and a hair dryer.

Good call on the paint damage I will look for the PDR
Thanks

What we do here when we have a hail damage car or something of that sort we throw it in the paint booth for a few mins. 160 degrees and 90% of the dents are out.

What we do here when we have a hail damage car or something of that sort we throw it in the paint booth for a few mins. 160 degrees and 90% of the dents are out.

Please explain how this works.
Physically.
:popcorn:

Please explain how this works.
Physically.
:popcorn:

We had a few mins talking about PDR in class one day. THey have a seperate school in KS i think for it so we only coverd the basics. We were told that we can heat the area up with a heat gun and put cold water on a rag over it and itll shrink it (or maybe thats just for normal dents.) But when we get a car in for hail damage we just throw it in the paint booth, turn it up, and let the heat take care of it.

I think the idea for it would be heating up the metal to let it expand and when it cools it contracts back to normal. Or the heat stress relieves the metal because steel has a memory and when heated it goes back into its normal stamped form.

Well the first thing you talked about is metal shrinking. You do that when dealing with "oil caning" that is when a dent pops in and out and wont stay rigid. Acting much like this oil cans from back in the old days.

Putting a hail dmage car in the booth and expecting all the dings to disapear makes little sence to me.
For starters we would be redoing a whole lot of mud work if the metal reacted that way when heated. Even little dings that just get a thin skim coat would be popping mud all over the place.
As many dents and dings as I have pushed out I can tell you metal may have "memory" but it is hardly photorgaphic and usually requires some intensive therapy to extract such surpressed memories.

So for clarity sake, you have never actually done this nor seen this done. Am I correct in my understanding?

So for clarity sake, you have never actually done this nor seen this done. Am I correct in my understanding?

I myself, no. I was told this by my instructor who has been working in the field for a number of years before comming to teach for the past 30 years.

Back