Dtc 212 & 214 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bschlabach

Reaction score
City, State
Chatsworth, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
HELP. I have a 1994 Explorer that has the CEL on and puts out codes 212 and 214. The Ford mechanic said it needed a new PCM so I replaced it and still getting 212 and 214. I replaced the ICM and still 212 and 214. Any ideas? A couple of symptoms are that the tach sat at zero the other day but then worked fine when i restarted the car. The speedo will occasionally jump like from 65 to 85 and back, although it is rare. I checked the SPOUT connector by the ICM, the little fuse looking thing, and pulled it out with the engine running and it definitely changed the way the car was running so i suppose it is working properly? There is another one of the same fuse looking things by the diagnosis ports that when pulled seems to have no effect on the car. Finally, if i jump the white/purple wire from the small diagnosis port to the blue/pink wire on the large diagnosis port the cel goes off at idle. It comes on again once rpms are 900 or higher. I'm hoping someone can help me because I need to get this car sold before the one I just purchased at auction gets home and my wife divorces me for having too many projects going at the same time!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your vehicle is equipped with a cam sensor, i would look there. either the sensor or related wiring has a fault triggering code 214 and i think 212 will be related.

Yes, I was thinking that might be giving the 214 code, could it also generate the 212? I was reading the crank shaft sensor could be a culprit as well?

Yes, I was thinking that might be giving the 214 code, could it also generate the 212? I was reading the crank shaft sensor could be a culprit as well?

It can, and it's easier to get to then the cam sensor so you might start there first. There's a thread in one of the stickies about r/r the cam sensor so you read up on that if the crank sensor checks out.

Sounds like a crank sensor to me. But you might do some testing before just throwing parts at it.

Thanks guys, I will check it out tomorrow and let you know what i find.

Well I'm out of places to check! the 94s 4.0L in California do not have cam sensors and the crank sensor checked out. So I have 212 & 214 and it's not the PCM, ICM or Crank positioning sensor. HELP.. I need to get this car smogged and sold soon.

I also have the 214 code on my 94 EB rwd. I'm stumped but need to get it fixed. The CEL light comes on after about 20 minutes and the car then runs badly. Anyone??????

It seems to run well until the CEL comes on. Then it loses some power and idles at about 1100 which drives me crazy. Crank or camshaft sensor????

The PCM consistently reports 111 and the 214. The PCM consistency with no weird random codes and always a 111 indicates, to me, that the PCM is OK in itself.

SOLVED!!!!!!!
It was the ECM.
Got a salvaged one and replaced my original one in about 15 minutes. My EB is now running like new at 196K miles.

Back