• Register Today It's free!

Dual Climate Control Issues

Mr.Stiver

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Lincoln Aviator
In my '20 Aviator, I set my drivers side climate control to 68 and my wife likes her side set at 70. But the "dual zone" kicks out and defaults back to the drivers setting. Best I have been able to determine is that if there is someone in the passenger seat at that time I shut the car off, it will stay at the dual setting. Conversely, if no one is in the passenger seat when I shut the car off, when I start the vehicle up the next time, it defaults to the drivers setting. To illustrate, my wife and I commute to work together. When we get in the car in the morning, my side is at 68 and hers will get set to 70. I drop her off and then drive to my office. Her side will stay at 70 until I get to my office and shut it off. When I start the car in the afternoon, both side are at 68. I can set her side to 70, pick her up and drive home. When we get in the next morning, her side will have stayed at 70.

Is this normal? Has anyone had a similar experience? I had a '13 Explorer Sport and an '07 Trailblazer SS both with dual climate zones and once you set them they stay that way until manually changed. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my understanding from ford is that if its set to auto the car dictates what it wants to do. You would have to set it to manual then have individual control of temp. All other settings are temporary when its set to auto. Which is BS thats why i miss my 2016 explorer limited.

........................ All other settings are temporary when its set to auto. Which is BS thats why i miss my 2016 explorer limited.
I'm not sure I follow Tony. I've always used 'AUTO' on all my previous vehicles all the time without any issues. Perhaps because I'm the only occupant? :confused2:

Peter

I'm not sure I follow Tony. I've always used 'AUTO' on all my previous vehicles all the time without any issues. Perhaps because I'm the only occupant? :confused2:

Peter

No the new 2020 models have been completely redesigned. The AC is totally different now on how it opperates.

I'm still using 'AUTO' in my Aviator and haven't noticed any difference but then there hasn't been a need to use A/C yet.

Peter

Yeah in south Florida its a must everyday.

I'm still using 'AUTO' in my Aviator and haven't noticed any difference but then there hasn't been a need to use A/C yet.

Peter

This make no sense. I thought that the "Auto" setting would determine such things as fan speed and maybe which vent to send it through but subject to the temperature that you set. I too have always used the Auto setting and it would keep the individual settings for the driver and passenger, for both heat and AC. What makes most sense to me would be that the passenger seat would detect when someone is in it (much like it does for the airbag) and then go to the dual setting. Otherwise have the whole car at the drivers setting.

One other thing, back before this public health crisis began, my wife and I did a 3 day weekend getaway. For the 3 days we went here and there together. The dual settings stayed (68/70) the entire time.

looking at page 134 in the owners manual, with one person the set temp will be be the same for both sides. It can be changed back after startup but will revert back the next time you start unless there is a passenger.
Sounds like yours is working as it should.
Mine works this way to, just didn't know why until now.
They say it's to help mileage.
The is from the Ford Explorer ST manual, the Lincoln manual may be different.

Apparently there is 3 different auto fan speed which makes no sense to me. When you press auto it has low med and hi. That is so stupid, auto supposed to mean just that. The fan speed should be determined by temperature set and how hot the ambient air is. As it starts cooling its supposed to govern accordingly once its near or at desired set temp.

That makes perfect sense to me. The fan speed will automatically adjust depending upon how quickly the cabin has to be either cooled or heated. You more or less stated the same thing in your statement "The fan speed should be determined..........................................."
I don't believe the Explorer has a variable speed fan motor.

Peter

That makes perfect sense to me. The fan speed will automatically adjust depending upon how quickly the cabin has to be either cooled or heated. You more or less stated the same thing in your statement "The fan speed should be determined..........................................."

Peter
The auto has 3 settings Auto low Auto med and Auto hi.

The auto has 3 settings Auto low Auto med and Auto hi.
Correct. I amended my post to indicate that I don't believe it has a variable speed motor.

Apparently there is 3 different auto fan speed which makes no sense to me. When you press auto it has low med and hi. That is so stupid, auto supposed to mean just that. The fan speed should be determined by temperature set and how hot the ambient air is. As it starts cooling its supposed to govern accordingly once its near or at desired set temp.
I actually kind of like this feature. You can control the fan speed, and it will control the temp of the air coming out. I’ve always hated when an auto setting starts blowing the air so hard that it sounds like an airplane taking off.

If you don't like the sound of the blower, you can set it to auto low (One Light). It will take longer to get to the temp you want though. If you're a person that wants it to get to temp as fast as possible and you don't mind the sound of the blower, you can put it on auto high (Three Lights). If you're Goldilocks, you'll want it on auto medium (Two Lights). That will make it just right.

I actually like the feature as well.

It working like: colder air slow fan speed or warmer air hi fan speed
depends how you like it

Where do I find the dual climate control button on my 2020 Explorer Platinum? The button you use to turn the dual control on and off.

If the passenger side temp is changed that will remain at that temp until it is changed again. To revert back to both sides at the same temp, press and hold the Auto button for a few seconds, then it's back to the same temp on both sides.

TBill

Where do I find the dual climate control button on my 2020 Explorer Platinum? The button you use to turn the dual control on and off.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The dual climate function is explained in the Owner's Manual and unlike the previous 2013 you had, I don't believe there is a standalone "Dual Climate" button.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The dual climate function is explained in the Owner's Manual and unlike the previous 2013 you had, I don't believe there is a standalone "Dual Climate" button.

Peter
Thank you!

Back