dual in dual out mufflers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dual in dual out mufflers?

is there a dual in dual out muffler that i can weld onto my truck?

i'm going to cut out my rear cats and redo my exhaust so that i can make it a bit louder and make room for my rollpan. right now i have a flowmaster 50 series suv with 3" single pipe.

i thought i read somewhere that someone made a dual 2.25 in muffler with dual 2.5 outs (which is what i want). ideally it would be a multiple chamber muffler that would equalize the flow between the two sides (like an x pipe).

then i am going to end the exhaust somewhere near the rear of the truck where its not visible unless i have the rear aired up.

please help me find what i need so i can order it on the net.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my dual in dual out SS magnaflow has an internal x pipe. 2.5 dual in, 2.5 dual out.

how do you like it?

isn't the pipe before the mufflers on our truck 2.25 (not that i can't figure out how to make it fit)

would you highly recommend your muffler to someone else? and do you have a part number?

the stainless steel model # is 14468. you could just go with the aluminized version which is cheaper but i dont have the part # off hand. ive only had the muffler on for a month or so. i likeit. if i had the option of doing the job again, id keep the muffler, but go with 2.25 piping back. i feel like i lost a bit of backpressure and therefore some torque, but gas mpg has gone up. i think you'd be better off with 2.5 inch piping anyways because of the mods you have done.

i dont know if i can recommend or not recommend this muffler, because i cant compare it to anything else. but i do have the feeling that magnaflows are very well tested and arent cheaply made. im def happy with my setup.

the piping is 2.25 until the last 2 cats, and from there on is 2.5 inch piping.

all i really care about is the sound.

it has to be not too loud unless i get on it, not poppy and backwrapping, i want it to sound like a factory performance car, not a truck with too big of exhaust (does it sort of fit those requirements?)

you could get the Flowmaster 50 series Delta SUV, which is dual 2.25 in and dual 2.25 out. have the exhaust shop put 2.25 to 2.5 adaptors on the back and run your 2.5" tailpipes. it will then sound exactly like 5 liter Mustang.

no exhaust shops for me james

they sell the adapters at autozone.

so the obvious question becomes, how far under the car can i dump them?

i pretty much want the exhaust invisible, i also need room for a custom hitch that is in the place of the spare tire with the rollpan, and for my air compressor.

ideally i'd go out before the rear wheels and dump under the truck (not in sight) , but i know about all the issues with doing so and i don't want any of them.

also, how much of an effect does the tip size have on the sound? if i dont' put a tip on it won't it sound a bit different? i'm considering 2.5" and then just having it exit right behind the rear wheels at 45 degree angles out with no tips (since there isn't any tip i'd like) and i think duals out the rear always, always look bad with rollpans

i found that muffler for only 88 dollars! woohoo and its like 130 or 140 everywhere else.

so, i need to get my stuff together and get it done

i have mine dumping BEFORE the rear end. um....... not something i feel comfortable recommending.... but it works. ive never had a single issue with exhaust on the interior, and with a 3" single and 40 series it sounds like a cross between a stang and a big block. even with the cats, its quite loud on the interior. mostly because its a 40. i would try to at least dump it/them over the rearend. cut the later part of the head sheild of in that area, and run them both over the rear on the same side. this will cut down on the interior "drone" alot, and will still leave an invisible exit. when i re-do my exhaust, this is how it will be done.

You will be happy with that muffler. Thats the same one I have... just wish I had a friggen V8 pumping infront of it. :(

since i'm trying to do this myself and we don't really have a "proper" way of bending the pipes i'm definitely gonna keep it as simple as i can. i'm thinking it shouldn't be that tough to just get the dual pipes past the rear axle and then dump them down.

i really should remove those rear two cats though right? i know that always gets mixed reviews- but i think it needs to be done

Originally posted by james t
they sell the adapters at autozone.

These adapters at Autozone are made of very thin (cheap) metal. When I did my exhaust I had the shop put in this adapter (I was trying to save a little $) and after a year everything was still in very good condition except that adapter that was installed in the middle of the exhaust setup. It was rusting out bad and you could tell it wasn't gonna last another year.

doh!

so what do i do then- this needs to be as weld together as possible

we're trying to do this with the wrong tools, but we should be able to do anything with a cutting torch and a welder right? if we are creative enough

With all this welding and torching and being creative, at the end, you might be better off having the shop do it. I think jssong got it done for like $150 (?). Seems worth it to me.

Unless ofcourse you want the satisfaction of doing it yourself, then that's a different story.

yeah, i could have a shop do it

but its fun to mess around and i don't want to deal with a shop and trying to remove cats and dumping an suv's exhaust. they keep telling me they won't do either thing

i guess my other option is to just cut off the cats and remove everything rearward of there and then drive it to an exhaust shop like that with the muffler in hand and tell them to weld it up. that way they won't feel bad about removing cats.

i wonder what it will sound like dumped after the first cats?

I know what you mean about the shop. I was lucky enough to find one that will do it. But the shop insisted, no receipt and no credit cards. Look around, you never know. They are not all honest and law abiding, you know. ;)

the shop i went to charged 190 cus of the dual piping. they had a problem with the bending of the left side piping, but after i showed them pics, they did it no problem. they even said it was their first explorer wtih duals. it was a reputable shop, that was recommended by many people, and they gave me a receipt with 1 year warranty on the pipes, and i have a warranty with magnaflow for the parts. i helped my firend just straight pipe his ranger, but it was too loud, and so we put a flow 40 non delta, and just dumped it about 2 feet from the muffler. sounded good with lot less drone inside. if your gonna dump it, might as well just dump it closer to the muffler and make it less work. i cant tell you about the exhaust fumes coming up inside, but im sure others will say itz not a good idea.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back